Exhaust Exhaust and Sub Frame connectors

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Will a stock dual exhaust system get in the way or make installing sub frame connectors more difficult?
I would like to by pass installing my frame connectors( it was my next project on the car) to installing my new exhaust system so I can get the car moving around a bit, then come back to the sub frame connectors, even giving me the option of having the SF connectors installed by a shop..
Any help here? Thanks
DSCF1193.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

File in the back of your head for subframe connectors time:

At some point when you realize that it is convenient for you, select hard points on the car and measure:

Front to back
Side to Side
Diagonally

If you see anything that cases you to question, put it on a frame straightener before welding.

I did this many years ago (I think it was at the suggestion of somebody here) and ended up having some corrections made. Glad I did.

I have no idea what this costs [now] but it wasn't much (relatively).

Reactions: 1 users
100% agree. I got my Coupe used and before the subframes were installed it went to a body shop and had them check it. Heard a few stories of guys installing them and never checking and made the car worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate the help here..
When I did my 77 Pickup ( in the pictures) it had been hit in the front corner and the frame had " diamonded ".. A big mess and of course the truck was being put back together when I found this... The engine fan was sitting crooked in the fan shroud from side to side... It was never done right ( even though I spend a fair amount of money on the local Chevy dealer frame rack) as it really needed a new frame and front crossmember, so I understand what everyone is saying here... TY
Today I would have bought a new aftermarket frame for it... Not sure if they were available back then and there was NO internet to find out.....
DSCF0224.JPG
DSCF0223.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I welded my own SFCs. Theo one spot where the exhaust affect my ability to weld was at the rear inside where the mufflers sat. My flowmasters were pretty close to the outside so I couldn’t get the best angle to weld there. Put a lever in to push the muffler over and made it work.

Later on, when I took my exhaust off to install the Borlas, I got back in there and added some additional weld to that area.

Edit: here’s the spot I was referring to. The install directions show tons of clearance, but I didn’t have this with my cat-back
IMG_8170.jpeg

Edit: this is out of the MM instructions. Not my welds

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I welded my own SFCs. Theo one spot where the exhaust affect my ability to weld was at the rear inside where the mufflers sat. My flowmasters were pretty close to the outside so I couldn’t get the best angle to weld there. Put a lever in to push the muffler over and made it work.

Later on, when I took my exhaust off to install the Borlas, I got back in there and added some additional weld to that area.

Edit: here’s the spot I was referring to. The install directions show tons of clearance, but I didn’t have this with my cat-back
IMG_8170.jpeg
Very nice!

IMG_8170.jpeg
i also did my own but my welds aint that purdy... :O

i also did my own but my welds aint that purdy... :O
I decided to by pass the sub frame connectors now and have moved on to the exhaust.. ( see my other post ) Trying to get the car on the ground, running and moving..
5L5 has been giving advice on my exhaust system and asked if " I could weld" .....
WELLLLL, I bought a small 240V mig/stick welder and I am going to practice, hoping to teach myself on some scrap metal, so I couldn't answer him yet... I have been around alot of welding shops and friends with welders watching them weld, so between that and some youtube videos I have been watching so its not like I am a complete rookie.... but......
Mine might not be very purdy either...... If I fail, I might just drive it somewhere and have a pro install them.....