Exhaust manifold gaskets...the best

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I'm at a point where I want to find each part that works and stick with it. If I have a choice of three parts and part 1 works for a couple people, part 2 works for several, but part 3 works for 12,000 people, then part 3 is for me. I'm past using a questionable part to save a dollar. I don't have extra dollars now but I certainly don't want to waste them by trying one part then having to buy the one I should have bought to start with. I've been doing this with all new purchases of maintenance items. It's time to reduce frequency of maintenance!
So next up are these exhaust gaskets. I've read every thread I could find on here. I also read all the reviews from Ford guys that I could find. Doing that gave me the three gaskets you see below. Sure, they all will work. But one of them is surely better than the others when evaluated in quantity. I have stock unported E7 heads with BBK ceramic sorties (1 5/8"). I have ARP stainless header bolts. I actually have numerous sets if header bolts but honestly have never seen that one is better than the other when it comes to staying tight. I constantly have to tighten them. I don't use thread lock and maybe I should? Yes? No?
So, if one of these gaskets is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let me know please. If there's one I'm missing that is super good by all means give me the info.
I appreciate the input.

Screenshot_2019-08-27-18-26-16-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-27-17-40-09-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-27-17-45-28-1.png

• Sponsors(?)

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I use neither of those. I use Permatex high temp red gasket maker on all my headers now. Haven't had leaks or loose header bolts on multiple cars ( including customers ) over the last 20 years. Ive Sen the middle ( paper like gasket ) blow out on several cars. The layered aluminum ones also burn out. The best I've seen are copper header gaskets. Looks cleaner than the high temp gasket goop.

Usually, it's the header that warps and causes the leak by allowing a very small amount of gases to get by....then the heat and pressure blows the gasket material out. For some reason that doesn't happen with the goop.

I also have been using a dab of sealant on exhaust header bolts for years. I think it helps dampen the vibration and keeps them from working their way loose.

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
mr gasket ultra seal on my car have never leaked auto zone usually has hanging on the shelf in there wanna be go fast isle
Well dang. I got the middle one from Jeff's post. It also got great reviews from mustang guys. This is, however, a discussion so all info is good. Well....specific info is good. So hit me with a part number please of you post something. Fel-Pro means nothing to me with no part number!

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Well dang. I got the middle one from Jeff's post. It also got great reviews from mustang guys. This is, however, a discussion so all info is good. Well....specific info is good. So hit me with a part number please of you post something. Fel-Pro means nothing to me with no part number!
On any high heat race car stuff I strictly use copper rtv now . No issues . My car has brand new ultra seals on it like I mentioned before . They always work for me

Reactions: Wayne Waldrep

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Thanks for chiming in. I have a lowly back to stock driver...lol. I'm just approaching exhaust gasket time and I want something that lasts much longer.

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
You don't buy gaskets..use use goop.
Whether its copper colored, or red, or high heat black ..if you aren't using RTV to seal your exhaust, you're paying for sht that doesn't work.
And even if it does...,.
Why pay 30 bucks for a gasket that doesn't work any better than a 7 dollar tube of goo?

Last edited:
Reactions: 90sickfox

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Jesus...another one of " these threads"

You don't buy gaskets..use use goop.
Whether its copper colored, or red, or high heat black ..if you aren't using RTV to seal your exhaust, you're paying for sht that doesn't work.
And even if it does...,.
How stupid do you feel for paying 30 bucks for a gasket that doesn't work any better than a 7 dollar tube of goo?
If you hate "these threads," how stupid do you feel for wasting 30 seconds posting in it when you could have looked for 7 seconds and kept going? Just quoting someone I heard once.

Reactions: 87_LX_5.0

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
High heat rtv, I hate gaskets. Just use the rtv and never look back.
So in a driver, how are you guys using rtv? You can't do that with the headers on the car so you have to pull the exhaust when you do that? I hate getting under the car for the header to h-pipe bolts.

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
If you hate "these threads," how stupid do you feel for wasting 30 seconds posting in it when you could have looked for 7 seconds and kept going? Just quoting someone I heard once.
Sorry Wayne. Wasn't feeling all too well last night. ( I think they call it ...."drunk")......my cynicism was a little unchecked. I edited the "snide" out of my comment.

Gaskets are a waste of time in my car. ( they aren't available in the US anyway). And using RTV wasn't my idea, I was told to use it 20 years ago. I've used it ever since on the hot side of everything I've done, it's worked for me.

Use whatever you feel is best sir.

Last edited:

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Sorry Wayne. Wasn't feeling all too well last night. ( I think they call it ...."drunk")......my cynicism was a little unchecked. I edited the "snide" out of my comment.

Gaskets are a waste of time in my car. ( they aren't available in the US anyway). And using RTV wasn't my idea, I was told to use it 20 years ago. I've used it ever since on the hot side of everything I've done, it's worked for me.

Use whatever you feel is best sir.
Oh it's all good man. I was in bad need of a laugh yesterday. Between your post and my response my bad day was solved. :D

Reactions: General karthief

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Seriously though, you have to pull the headers completely out to do RTV right? I see no way of doing it with them in the car.

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Shouldn't pull them out to replace the gaskets anyways to make sure the (2) mating surfaces are 100% clean?
I never have once. Does seem kinda strange though considering how annoyingly picky I am about stuff like that. I guess I never really thought about it. It has been running for 31 years now doing it that way. But again, I HATE getting under the car and removing the ball and socket connection on the bottom of the headers. The original purpose for this thread was to reduce maintenance...not increase it. Pulling headers definitely increases it. So I'm out on the RTV. Prolly go with the Ultra Seals or the FelPro 1415. Excellent info though to all of you.

stanglx2002

CT Material here
Mod Dude
Jul 7, 2005
I never have once. Does seem kinda strange though considering how annoyingly picky I am about stuff like that. I guess I never really thought about it. It has been running for 31 years now doing it that way. But again, I HATE getting under the car and removing the ball and socket connection on the bottom of the headers. The original purpose for this thread was to reduce maintenance...not increase it. Pulling headers definitely increases it. So I'm out on the RTV. Prolly go with the Ultra Seals or the FelPro 1415. Excellent info though to all of you.
I didn't want to add additional work to your maintenance, but I know the few that I have replaced left bits of the gasket on the heads mating surface. If left this would have caused a leak on that flange. Just my 2 cents

• Agree
Reactions: Olivethefet
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Exhaust Manifold Gaskets Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S Replacing Exhaust Manifold Gaskets Help! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
B White Smoke Coming From Exhaust And Loosing Coolant - Intake Manifold Or Head Gasket? 2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech 1
X Engine Need a recommendation on exhaust manifold gasket. GT40-X Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
AP1995V6 Exhaust manifold gasket change = headache, how? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
Foxbody93 Exhaust manifold gasket Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S Which side does the Exhaust Manifold Gasket face? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
S Which side does the Exhaust Manifold Gasket face? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
E Exhaust manifold gasket confusion 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
C K code (Hi-Po) exhaust manifold gasket Classic Mustang Specific Tech 15
ZIncGTSTANG Ford Exhaust Manifold Gaskets 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
M Exhaust manifold gasket for 428 CJ? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
S Do i need new Exhaust manifold gaskets? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
Y Roush Exhaust Manifold Leak/Blown gasket, help please! Special Production 1
S Stupid exhaust manifold gasket question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
P Roush Exhaust manifold gaskets? Need help Special Production 0
Mystang66 Exhaust Manifold bolts 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
M For Sale 78 King Cobra Parts - Heads, Intake, Exhaust Manifolds, Radiator, AC Condenser, AC Compressor Mustang II Parts 0
K Engine 2.3L Red Hot Exhaust Manifold? 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 13
Enzio Exhaust exhaust manifold leak 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 58
D WTB/Trade 2.3L turbo and exhaust manifold Other Classifieds 3
C Exhaust Rattle coming from manifold SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
9 Need Help on what I need - New to the game 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
Woody3882 Please help me Identify what this is for 65 exhaust manifold piece 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
R For Sale FS 05-10 Mustang 4.0 SOHC exhaust manifolds Engine and Power Adder 0
L Exhaust Manifolds P71 block Mustang Compatability 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
D Will V8 Exhaust Manifold Flanges Fit V6 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 9
M Exhaust Manifold To Downpipe Leak 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
W Factory Exhaust Manifold To H Pipe Stud 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
P V6 Engine '99 Vs '02 Differences - Egr / Exhaust Manifolds / Air Bypass Valve 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
Shelden Cracked Exhaust Manifold SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 4
Rancherorob Expired For Sale Ford Parts Pulleys C6 Exhaust Manifolds, Lots More Other Classifieds 1
M Need Help With Hipo Exhaust Manifold Fitment With "h" Pipe Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
J Exhaust Factory Exhaust Manifolds Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 31
S Sound Of Air Sputtering On Underside Of Car Towards Exhaust Manifold Area. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
A Exhaust Smoke at exhaust manifold port Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
2012 Boss 302 Exhaust Manifold Question 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 1
W Exhaust Manifold 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 0
N Do turbo kits come with the exhaust manifold, or do we have to make a customized one? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
jackson0215 390 Exhaust Manifolds Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
7 1971-73 Mustang, 4BBl Cleaveland factory O.E.M. exhaust manifolds for sale Exhaust 0
soontobefastfox 05-09 Mustang GT Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds and Catted Magnaflow X-Pipe Exhaust Parts 2
331efiblue66 exhaust manifold stud SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
R exhaust leak at manifold Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
NYRustang93 Exhaust leak at manifold/exhaust pipe joint 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 2
9 stock turbo exhaust manifold??? 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 20
S For Sale HI PO Exhaust Manifolds NEW in BOX Exhaust 2
McLain exhaust manifold SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
Jake8 Opinions on upgrading exhaust, radiator, fan and intake manifold Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
McLain stripped exhaust manifold bolt SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4