Exhaust manifold gaskets...the best

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I'm at a point where I want to find each part that works and stick with it. If I have a choice of three parts and part 1 works for a couple people, part 2 works for several, but part 3 works for 12,000 people, then part 3 is for me. I'm past using a questionable part to save a dollar. I don't have extra dollars now but I certainly don't want to waste them by trying one part then having to buy the one I should have bought to start with. I've been doing this with all new purchases of maintenance items. It's time to reduce frequency of maintenance!
So next up are these exhaust gaskets. I've read every thread I could find on here. I also read all the reviews from Ford guys that I could find. Doing that gave me the three gaskets you see below. Sure, they all will work. But one of them is surely better than the others when evaluated in quantity. I have stock unported E7 heads with BBK ceramic sorties (1 5/8"). I have ARP stainless header bolts. I actually have numerous sets if header bolts but honestly have never seen that one is better than the other when it comes to staying tight. I constantly have to tighten them. I don't use thread lock and maybe I should? Yes? No?
So, if one of these gaskets is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let me know please. If there's one I'm missing that is super good by all means give me the info.
I appreciate the input.

Screenshot_2019-08-27-18-26-16-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-27-17-40-09-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-27-17-45-28-1.png

• Sponsors (?)

I use neither of those. I use Permatex high temp red gasket maker on all my headers now. Haven't had leaks or loose header bolts on multiple cars ( including customers ) over the last 20 years. Ive Sen the middle ( paper like gasket ) blow out on several cars. The layered aluminum ones also burn out. The best I've seen are copper header gaskets. Looks cleaner than the high temp gasket goop.

Usually, it's the header that warps and causes the leak by allowing a very small amount of gases to get by....then the heat and pressure blows the gasket material out. For some reason that doesn't happen with the goop.

I also have been using a dab of sealant on exhaust header bolts for years. I think it helps dampen the vibration and keeps them from working their way loose.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
mr gasket ultra seal on my car have never leaked auto zone usually has hanging on the shelf in there wanna be go fast isle
Well dang. I got the middle one from Jeff's post. It also got great reviews from mustang guys. This is, however, a discussion so all info is good. Well....specific info is good. So hit me with a part number please of you post something. Fel-Pro means nothing to me with no part number!

Well dang. I got the middle one from Jeff's post. It also got great reviews from mustang guys. This is, however, a discussion so all info is good. Well....specific info is good. So hit me with a part number please of you post something. Fel-Pro means nothing to me with no part number!
On any high heat race car stuff I strictly use copper rtv now . No issues . My car has brand new ultra seals on it like I mentioned before . They always work for me

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for chiming in. I have a lowly back to stock driver...lol. I'm just approaching exhaust gasket time and I want something that lasts much longer.

You don't buy gaskets..use use goop.
Whether its copper colored, or red, or high heat black ..if you aren't using RTV to seal your exhaust, you're paying for sht that doesn't work.
And even if it does...,.
Why pay 30 bucks for a gasket that doesn't work any better than a 7 dollar tube of goo?

Last edited:
Jesus...another one of " these threads"

You don't buy gaskets..use use goop.
Whether its copper colored, or red, or high heat black ..if you aren't using RTV to seal your exhaust, you're paying for sht that doesn't work.
And even if it does...,.
How stupid do you feel for paying 30 bucks for a gasket that doesn't work any better than a 7 dollar tube of goo?
If you hate "these threads," how stupid do you feel for wasting 30 seconds posting in it when you could have looked for 7 seconds and kept going? Just quoting someone I heard once.

If you hate "these threads," how stupid do you feel for wasting 30 seconds posting in it when you could have looked for 7 seconds and kept going? Just quoting someone I heard once.
Sorry Wayne. Wasn't feeling all too well last night. ( I think they call it ...."drunk")......my cynicism was a little unchecked. I edited the "snide" out of my comment.

Gaskets are a waste of time in my car. ( they aren't available in the US anyway). And using RTV wasn't my idea, I was told to use it 20 years ago. I've used it ever since on the hot side of everything I've done, it's worked for me.

Use whatever you feel is best sir.

Last edited:
Sorry Wayne. Wasn't feeling all too well last night. ( I think they call it ...."drunk")......my cynicism was a little unchecked. I edited the "snide" out of my comment.

Gaskets are a waste of time in my car. ( they aren't available in the US anyway). And using RTV wasn't my idea, I was told to use it 20 years ago. I've used it ever since on the hot side of everything I've done, it's worked for me.

Use whatever you feel is best sir.
Oh it's all good man. I was in bad need of a laugh yesterday. Between your post and my response my bad day was solved. :D

Shouldn't pull them out to replace the gaskets anyways to make sure the (2) mating surfaces are 100% clean?
I never have once. Does seem kinda strange though considering how annoyingly picky I am about stuff like that. I guess I never really thought about it. It has been running for 31 years now doing it that way. But again, I HATE getting under the car and removing the ball and socket connection on the bottom of the headers. The original purpose for this thread was to reduce maintenance...not increase it. Pulling headers definitely increases it. So I'm out on the RTV. Prolly go with the Ultra Seals or the FelPro 1415. Excellent info though to all of you.

I never have once. Does seem kinda strange though considering how annoyingly picky I am about stuff like that. I guess I never really thought about it. It has been running for 31 years now doing it that way. But again, I HATE getting under the car and removing the ball and socket connection on the bottom of the headers. The original purpose for this thread was to reduce maintenance...not increase it. Pulling headers definitely increases it. So I'm out on the RTV. Prolly go with the Ultra Seals or the FelPro 1415. Excellent info though to all of you.

I didn't want to add additional work to your maintenance, but I know the few that I have replaced left bits of the gasket on the heads mating surface. If left this would have caused a leak on that flange. Just my 2 cents

• Agree