Exhaust Sound Off Competition

Lsredy2kstang

Look, I'm special, dammit
Nov 29, 1999
Woodstcock, Georgia
Exhaust Sound Off Competition Represented the 6 well!

Okay guys, this past weekend our Mustang Club the SVTOA Atlanta Chapter had an exhaust sound off.

IT was sorta technical and non technical. The rules were as followed!

One at a time, each car will pull forward into Dave's center garage until the back bumper cover is even with the edge of the opening of the garage. The car will be shut off, and a calibrated dB meter will be placed on a stand three feet from the back of the car.

The car will then be started and allowed to idle as the maximum start up dB and the maximum idle dB are recorded.

The driver will then be instructed to slowly bring the rpm's up to 2500 and hold it for approximately 5 seconds. The gas pedal shall be released.... not blipped. The maximum db will be recorded.

The driver will then be instructed to slowly bring the rpm's up to 4000 and hold it for approximately 5 seconds.... once again, no blipping. The maximum db will be recorded.

The final dB metering will be drivers choice with your maximum dB recorded.

This will account for the five measured readings:
1. Start up
2. Idle
3. 2500 rpm
4. 4000 rpm
5. Driver's choice

And now for the rest of the story...

There will be three judges who will be judging the sound of the exhaust note during each of the five recorded readings. The judges will be non-competors. The sound will be judged from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best sound.

Then, all of the competors will be lined up at the end of Dave's driveway. One at a time, each car will start up and turn right out of Dave's driveway. The maximum speed will be 45 mph. The cars will start up and depart in one minute intervals. The same judges will be selecting best exhaust note using the same scale. Each car will continue up to the new subdivision on the right as you leave, and wait for the last car to arrive in the club house parking lot.

Well, after it all was said and done, well I came in 1st that is correct first over the other 12 competitors in the db metering and Second in the judges choice and overall second in the competition!

[COLOR=Dark Red]I just wanted to let everyone know that I represent the Six well this weekend and cannot say enough about our cars! Here is a wonderful video also and the link to the other videos if you are interested!

http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/phpBB2/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1212 Link to all the video and movies

Link to mine directly: http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/videos/exhaust/BB/ES08.wmv
[/COLOR]

• Sponsors (?)

I love the sound.

The thing I can't get over, is how crappy all the cars sound compared to the exhaust on my Bro's '95 Cobra, which has a MAC CAI, H-pipe & catback.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they sound awsome, but just weak and boring compared to the Mac setup! :shrug:

But it was good to hear and see most of the stangs, with their exhaust. I love the 6'ers!

Well, Darren (mxd_pny) and I were the only V6 out there. All the others were Cobra's adn Lightning and yes, that is the 2003 Cobra under boost most were not stock at all and have a smaller pulley.

Watch the "Toby" video and when he punched it it went sideways and you will see after his driveby the tire marks that he left.

Travis

LsRedy2Kstang said:
Well, Darren (mxd_pny) and I were the only V6 out there. All the others were Cobra's adn Lightning and yes, that is the 2003 Cobra under boost most were not stock at all and have a smaller pulley.

Watch the "Toby" video and when he punched it it went sideways and you will see after his driveby the tire marks that he left.

Travis

I saw that it was so cool

ChrisYellowV6 said:
wat exhaust setup do you have? And also, what were the other cars in order?

As far as Sound (db) we had 2 6ers :hail2: in the top 5 and with judges choice we had two in the top ten (8th) ... LsRedy2Kstang check me on the vehicles ...not sure which Al had the lightning

8 travis 592.6 610 1,202.6 V6
10 al 570.2 620 1,190.2 cobra
4 todd 570.1 600 1,170.1 cobra
9 jc 568.6 650 1,218.6 cobra
3 darren 563.7 575 1,138.7 V6
1 greg 562.6 585 1,147.6 cobra
11 zack 561.2 615 1,176.2 cobra
6 toby 560.3 620 1,180.3 cobra
13 al 560.2 605 1,165.2 lightning
5 dave p 552.1 570 1,122.1 cobra
12 james 551 665 1,216.0 cobra
7 perry 533 525 1,058.0 cobra