exhaust turndowns?

Tanus

Dec 11, 2009
A to the Z
chopped off my tailpipes at muffler yesterday, car sounds...Awesome! (way bass-i-er,haha) should have done it years ago

but my question is, should I add turndowns, or is it kinda pointless? my buddy says it makes it even louder, which is good

fyi- I have bbk shorties, mac off-road H and 3 chamber flows. looking for a deal on long tubes also and maybe 2 chamber flows

• Sponsors (?)

chopped off my tailpipes at muffler yesterday, car sounds...Awesome! (way bass-i-er,haha) should have done it years ago

but my question is, should I add turndowns, or is it kinda pointless? my buddy says it makes it even louder, which is good

fyi- I have bbk shorties, mac off-road H and 3 chamber flows. looking for a deal on long tubes also and maybe 2 chamber flows

It might make it a little louder seeing as how the sound will be reflecting off the ground but I would turndown it if nothing more to just keep the exhaust from blowing right onto the gas tank.

Mine are dumped without turndown tips but I haven't had a problem with my gas tank. That may be because I have single chambers welded straight to the hpipe. It will make your car a bit louder, but 3 chambers aren't helping your cause.

my buddy has 1 chambers on his big block camaro, super loud, I think the 3s with long tubes will be perfect, was driving all day today with the radio off just listening to the exhaust bass

I can feel a definate power gain, probably like 10 hp, the tail pipes wernt mandrel bent, in the curves they're just barly 2 inch.

No turndowns.

I've always ran my cars with no turndowns or tailpipes. My 90 has MAC shorties, MAC off road X with 2 chamber Flowmasters with no turndowns. I love the deepness of that setup. My 68 is the same way except I don't have a mid-pipe yet, just straight pipes from the header to the muffler.

I'd put the turndowns.

I ran my car for a day without tailpipes and personally hated it. Way too loud and it vibrated the whole car. Couldn't wait to put the tailpipes back on

turn downs will make it a little bit louder for the simple fact that the exhaust will be bouncing off the pavement. i ran my car like that for a while and still thought it sounded cool but got way to loud inside when you drove it down the road in overdrive

I hope you don't plan on going anywhere nice, or with a girl. You can bathe in AXE body spray and you'll still stink like exhaust fumes and raw gasoline wherever you go with dumped exhaust. It's also particularly fun at stop lights when you have your windows rolled down, which I assume you do a lot there in surface-of-the-sun-hot-as-balls Arizona. That being said, it kicks ass. :nice:

I've never had a problem with fumes? I smell it pretty good when i start it up but other than that I never really have problems with exhaust fumes

the prospect of fumes is why I didnt chop it till now, but now that they're chopped I have 0 fumes, even let it sit at idle for 20 min with windows up, then got in, no fumes at all.

I LOVE the way it sounds now