Explorer GT40 intake ACT solutions

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
Indiana
I know many have talked about installing the ACT sensor in differnt locations when using the explorer intake... You can drill and tap the #5 runner if it has the boss there like this one I did for a friend:

View attachment 204207

My gt40 lower didnt have the boss in the #5 runner where you can drill and tap it. The area is thin there and I didnt want to crack the intake so I installed it in the upper plenum. I drilled out a vacume port and tapped it.. the wire harness reached right over to it and plugged in. Car runs great no codes so its a good place for it.:nice:

View attachment 204208

View attachment 204209

View attachment 204210

View attachment 204211

• Sponsors (?)

I had a plastic PVC type CAI on my 89, I drilled a hole, then threaded the sensor into it. Then lengthened the wires leading to the sensor. Took about 15 minutes.

Lars, I thought about doing it that way but I didnt want to extend the wires and relocate it to the air box, as I have the march ram air kit. I came up with this alternative and thought I would share the info.

That's where I would put it. I also don't like the idea of extending or molding the wiring harness at all.

The explorer intake has more vac lines than needed, so why not make one an act hole?

The explorer does have waaaaaaaaay to many vac ports. I actually welded several of them closed. I left one on the front and put a hose on it and capped it off in case I needed it. I welded several of them closed on the back side and I actually took the vac tree assy off my stock intake and drilled and tapped a hole out and installed the stock vac tree on the back side of the explorer upper..I also removed the 2 nipples off the bottom of the plenum above the drivers side valve cover and tapped them and put bolts in them.

Thats pretty cool I like how its hidden and it looks a lot easier to drill and tap there, than at an angle on the runner, I took mine to a machine shop to do it on the runner because I didnt want to mess it up.

The next best spot for the ACT is the stock air box if you don't do the drill and tap thing. You get to cut and splice the 2 ACT wires in order to make them long enough to reach the air box. Solder the wire extensions on the existing wires & use heat shrink tubing to cover the splices. Offset the place where you cut the wires so that you don't have a big bulge when you put heat shrink over the 2 wires to cover & protect them. The air box gets a hole (5/8" or so) for the ACT drilled about 1 1/4" down & 1/1/4" in on the front top side near the upper radiator hose. A brass fitting nut from Home Depot or Ace Hardware secures the ACT into the air box.

If you are very clever, you will find that the ACT connector comes apart so that you can remove the pins. A very small screwdriver releases the lock in the front of the center insert, while another small screwdriver inserted in the back pushes it out. Once the center insert is out of the connector shell, the pins come out easily. New pins are available from AutoZone in a $5 electrical pin kit for Fords. Crimping the pins on the extender wires saves you from having to splice them twice: once to put the connector on and once to extend the wires.

6 ft black 18 gauge wire
6 ft green 18 gauge wire
6 ft 1/4" heat shrink tubing
1 ft 3/16" heat shrink tubing

Measure the 2 extender wires & cut them to length, crimp one set of pins on them. Then mate up the extender pins with the wiring harness & slide the 3/16" heat shrink tubing over them & shrink the tubing. Then slide the 1/4" heat shrink tubing over the pair of wires and shrink the tubing. When you are done you'll have about 1" of wire left without heat shrink tubing on it to strip & crimp the new pins on. Stick the new pins in the old connector shell, assemble it and you are done. It looks as good as factory. Some wire loom can be used to enhance the "Factory Look".

Underhoodpictures002.jpg

Underhoodpictures003.jpg

The only downside is it could be a pita to unplug the sensor if you take the intake off.

I picked up an explorer intake off craigslist to mess around with. Was debating having tmoss port the lower but I need to tap the act in the normal spot because I have a cobra upper. :(

These explorer uppers can be made to look pretty sexy....especially with an '86 ho plate on it. I want to see if I can do up my explorer upper in a sort of charcoal metallic paint with a detailed plate....and hang it on the wall :)

my Explorer lower didn't have the boss on it to tap,but I drilled and tapped it anyway in the #5 runner.Plenty of metal there and no issues. I drilled a small pilot hole,then the correct size.