Fox Fan suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

I run a junkyard 94-95 fan. Paid $20 and it's been on my car for 20 years and has done an excellent job of cooling the car. They are plenty of OEM options out there that are cheap and far more reliable that many of the aftermarket fans being offered.

Hpowever, if your car is overheating during long drives, it might be a sign that your radiator/coolant might need attending to. Once i'm over 30MPH, I no longer need my fan on. In fact, I sometimes shut it off with a manual toggle when I know i'm just cruising and won't be stopping.

I run a junkyard 94-95 fan. Paid $20 and it's been on my car for 20 years and has done an excellent job of cooling the car. They are plenty of OEM options out there that are cheap and far more reliable that many of the aftermarket fans being offered.

Hpowever, if your car is overheating during long drives, it might be a sign that your radiator/coolant might need attending to. Once i'm over 30MPH, I no longer need my fan on. In fact, I sometimes shut it off with a manual toggle when I know i'm just cruising and won't be stopping.
I saw something about the 94-95 fans last night and saw two 94s sitting at my local pick a part. And thank you for the heads up. I suspected the radiator was trash. I'm pretty sure it's some eBay garbage that the previous owner put on. I've already flushed and refilled the system, new tstat and replaced all hoses. Could it be the water pump? I know it works, isn't leaking, pulley is fine. Definitely corroded a bit. Or would you go straight to replacing the radiator?

You have replaced everything but the water pump and radiator, I would. Gunk built up in the radiator and also build up around the impeller in the water pump.
Those tiny tubes in the radiator plug up easily and start a the bottom of the radiator so you can't see the restricted flow. A infrared temp gun can show temp differences

Reactions: 1 user
You have replaced everything but the water pump and radiator, I would. Gunk built up in the radiator and also build up around the impeller in the water pump.
Those tiny tubes in the radiator plug up easily and start a the bottom of the radiator so you can't see the restricted flow. A infrared temp gun can show temp differences
I heard something about using a temp gun to check it. Thanks... Ill just replace both as I don't want to pull the cooling system apart again. Might as well just do both I guess.

How about a good aluminum radiator then? SR performance? Mishimoto? SVE? I'm not going to spend more than 250. And I'll just get a motorcraft water pump.

I have a Mishimoto and SVE dual fan set up that I just installed. I really havent tested it in hot weather yet but so far so good. Also another good option is the Mark VIII fan. I have one that I will be installing in my F150 one of these days. The parasitic draw from the clutch fan kills all the hp in my F150 in the summer

Ford Contour fans are best bang for the buck. Check and make sure your air deflector is at the lower core support. If that thing isn't there the car temps will creep up while driving....the deflectors that are between the bumper support and sides of radiator are important too. Without them the air will bypass around the radiator and not through it at highway speeds.

Ford Contour fans are best bang for the buck. Check and make sure your air deflector is at the lower core support. If that thing isn't there the car temps will creep up while driving....the deflectors that are between the bumper support and sides of radiator are important too. Without them the air will bypass around the radiator and not through it at highway speeds.
Im pretty sure none of that is on the car anymore. Would LMR have some?

Yes..

Screenshot_20200709-132958_Chrome.jpg

If memory serves, Engine Masters did an episode and found that clutch fans were more efficient and no fan shroud gained HP.
I wish I still had the clutch fan but previous owner(s) got rid of it. And me, like a dumby, have already invested money in a nice new electric fan controller so I have no plans to scrap that and go back to clutch fan. Good info though. Thanks!!

No fan shroud will cause the car to run hotter sitting or stop and go traffic. Air takes the path of least resistance. I thought a shroud the fan pulls air from the sides. Clutch fans are proven to work...when the clutch is working properly.

No fan shroud will cause the car to run hotter sitting or stop and go traffic. Air takes the path of least resistance. I thought a shroud the fan pulls air from the sides. Clutch fans are proven to work...when the clutch is working properly.
All I said was it added HP. Same with the clutch vs electric.

Didn't mean to cause an argument. Come on boys, I thought you guys were friends? Haha
If this is an argument, nobody told me.

I did think it was funny that a properly working clutch fan yielded more hp. The episode is behind a paywall now, but it's funny to see something that was supposed to be another piece in the hp puzzle get debunked after magazine article after magazine article touted it 30 years ago.