Fan switch fuse question...ATTN JT

After searching for what feels like half my life about how to install these damn switches, I've figured it out and I just need to know what size fuses I should get.

JT, I was searching on corral and found a post you made a while back and it showed a pic of what looks to be the exact same switches i bought today (the round ones with the small blue LED). Anyway, it says they are only good to 10 amps, is that ok? I'm assuming since its getting wired into such small gauge wire that its ok.

Also, is there a relay somewhere either in th CCRM, or between the CCRM and the fan motor? I see all these thin wires going into the CCRM, and these big honkin wires going into the fan motor, so I assume theres a relay in there somewhere right? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Michael, you should be ok. As mentioned in the Wiki, you are only exciting the coil of a relay, so the current-draw will be about 250 mA (.25 amps) through your switch and through the wiring you run. That's why it doesnt matter what kind of switch you use (within reason) nor what you use to power your switch. Most circuits can spare an extra .25 amp draw.

You have it right - the CCRM houses 5 relays, two of which are for the fan (low and high). You're tapping into the control side of the low and high speed relays (pins 14 and 17, respectively) to make a given relay kick in. The CCRM has battery power going to it (on other terminals), and when you excite the relay, it connects this battery power to the big fan wires to make the fan come on.

Good luck with the install. One note I can think of. If you use a plastic scotchlock type taps, ensure it makes good connection. The CCRM wires are so small that it can be tough to have a real tight connection that doesnt open when you move the wires around. I do the install, turn the fan on, and then carefully (stuff might be hot or moving) wiggle the tapped connection to make sure the fan doesnt kick off. I speak from experience on this one. ;)

Good luck.