Fan turns on with key on in cold weather, clicking noises, occasional crank but no start....CCRM?

Ok so recently I have been having this "problem." The current temperature where I live is probably 35 with some mornings being much colder. When I get up to go to work and turn my key to on (not start the engine) my fan kicks on regardless of coolant temperature. Sometimes I will not hear the fan kick on but rather a clicking noise coming from what seems to be the passenger side. The last problem and this may be completely unrelated is that sometimes my car will crank but now start. To start the car I must floor it and wait for it to catch than take my foot off the gas and feather it to keep it running for a few seconds. Also when the car starts I get a huge puff of smoke which appears to be unburned fuel as if it was flooded. The car is a 2004 Mustang GT with an intercooled Vortech. I recently moved the CCRM but only slightly out of the way for room I needed with the intercooler plumbing. Any idea what this could be?

• Sponsors (?)

To clarify a few things the car only smokes upon starting when it cranks but will not start. Also to rule out a bad sensor I checked the ECT sensor to see what it read on a cold start up. If it read greater than 180F (which the coolant temp would not be) it would trigger the fan and it could possibly be a bad sensor. The ECT sensor however seems to work fine.