few SCT tuning questions

35thponyGT

Mar 21, 2011
Houston
ok so i just got into my tuning software and had a few questions

1. adaptive learning - what does the adaptive learning do exactly? does it change air/fuel? knock? spark? i have it on and if i play with the fuel i feel like it dose not change

2. knock - i have this set on 26 as a precaution. what does the amount of "knock" really mean?

well i have a wideband afr and is always lean. (idle - 16, WOT - 13.6)
i adjust the base fuel table accordingly and it stays the EXACT same.

WHY!?!?!?!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Adaptive changes fueling. It adapts to slight changes in the MAF and other fueling hardware. Keeping it on and tuning is the same as chasing your tail. As you change things, it adapts and it looks the same. Turn it off. You do not adjust the base fuel table until the MAF is dialed in - do that first.

If you are using a wideband to tune with, rather than fuel trims, you should first force open loop or you'll be fighting the 02 sensors. If you do this, be sure you are using an accurate wideband. Hopefully, you ARE using LIveLink to datalog things, because if you are not, you are not going to be able to successfully tune it.

Not sure what you mean by knock - maybe the Borderline Knock Table? That is the main table it uses to determine spark - but not by all means the absolute number of final spark. There are a LOT of modifiers that determine final spark.

Sounds like you need to get some materials/training to get you better up to speed on the whole process.

yeah i just got into the whole tuning scene.
and i also have live link but i cant get it to datalog. all of this was under the table so i might not have gotten all hardware for livelink

i posted this in another forum and was directed to leaving it on but just turning off the learning for the fuel table. i know the adaptive learning does other things but i am only interested in a/f right now.
and if i am correct open loop is just the higher rpms where the ECU does not play with the ratio

No open loop is still controlled by the base fuel table and any other modifiers in the tune. But for fueling to be right, the MAF has to be dialed in first.

LOL on the other forum - be really careful as there is tons of internet misinformation out there.

You need to get LiveLink going - if you are using a chip, you still need an old locked X2 or something AND a blocker cable to log, if you have an X2 or X3, then use it to log with LiveLink.

You DO need training or you may hurt your car - we train other SCT dealers, not Pro Racers, but you may want to check out my sig - we do have a Pro Racer Training Video and SCT's manual. SCT X3 LiveWire Dyno Performance Chips LaSota Racing Ford Tuning Index

It gets easier the more you do - but you need to do things correctly to create a tune that gets as much power out of and to keep your motor healthy. Good luck!