Finally broke into the 13's

90_Red_LX

Sep 29, 2003
Asheboro, NC
I finally made a 13 second pass with the car. A long time coming. Ran a 13.8 @ 99mph with a 2.068 60 ft. It was a long night though, first run I babied it and ran a 14.02 98. 2nd run some pos was leaking antifreeze and I felt it halfway down the track. Didn't even get a good 1/8th mile run in before I hit that crap and backed out. Very lucky I didn't smack the wall, 3 other cars including a nice 'cuda came damn close before they investigated. Then a camaro blew up, which was the first pair to get back on the track after waiting abotu an hour. Then once they got that going, a half a dozen may have went before some crazy 3 door coupe blew up so we had to wait on that. Then the bikes went and one of the riders bikes snapped around on the line, he drilled the pavement, and smashed his bike up pretty good. So we had to wait on him to wake up (heard he got KO'd) and the EMT's to clear before we got one more run in. Ran the 13.8 then. What pissed me off though was my 2nd run where I hit the antifreeze was a better run than the last one. My 330' time was better, which was the last time I had before my run got screwed (5.757 to a 5.805.) That run could've possibly been a 13.7 with a 100mph trap, but oh well. I'm lucky my cars still in one piece. Just thought I'd share.

• Sponsors (?)

spiff said:
Good work, too bad you can't get more runs in or practise at that track, sounds like it was a circus there.

I'd been going to the track for the past 3 weekends. Before the intake, after intake, then after intake and fixing the timing that I screwed up. The previous two times they were on top of their game. But this past night was just one of those nights I guess. Nothing went right. I usually get anywhere between 6-8 runs in.

The car is capable of 1.9 60's with a great launch, but the first run I babied because I wanted a good run in, the 2nd was damn near a 1.9 60', and the 3rd was going to be my last run and I wanted a 13 second slip before I left, so I didn't get real aggressive because I didn't want to spin.

Lol thats cool mob. Makes me feel bad that I got more done to the car than you though. :(

Oh well maybe next time I can get several runs in and hopefully go back with some d/r's and some suspension, run deep in the 13s.

Yeah it felt good to finally be able to say I run 13s versus 14 flats. I knew the car had a 13 in it, and the 2nd run proved it to me that it had it, I just didn't know if last night was going to be the night to get the slip or not. Everything went wrong lol.

I don't think the car has much more in it than the way it sits. It may have another tenth in it but thats probably about it. The cars leaking coolant though and I can't figure out where it's going. My only clue is it's spitting drops of water out the tailpipes sometimes so maybe my intake is leaking? I have no clue.

I'm just going to drive it until it gets real bad or the gaskets give. I'm not pulling that damn intake off again just for gaskets. If the intake comes off again, the heads are coming off and the cam is coming out, thats for damn sure. That was a nightmare swapping intakes.

gcwh02 said:
congrats, whats your combo?

1990 5.0 LX Hatchback
Mac Cat-back
VRS o/r x-pipe
Mac shorty headers
Moroso CAI
14* timing
Pro 5.0
3-core radiator
3.73's
Edelbrock RPM intake
70mmm MAF
65mm TB and egr spacer

Run it on 16" chrome ponies with 245/50/16 falken ziex 512s on all 4 corners. Ran the fronts at 50 psi and the backs at 25. I really wanted to lay in it at the hole and see what it would do with a sub 2.0 60' but I didn't get the chance, as it's a fine line between a 1.9 60' and blowing the tires off. Usually takes a run or two to get it down right.