Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

So do you think I can run my non adjustable cable in the single hook quadrant that’s already in the car with the adjuster? I think it’ll work fine. Right?

• Sponsors (?)

@jrichker has an excellent write up on clutch adjustment stuff, it's in here about post 15 or so, he talks about the different combinations for cable, quadrant and adjusters.
I looked to see if it was in the resource area but I didn't find it.
According to his write uo I may have a problem.

Mine is a single hook. If you need to make height adjustments, you can do it here:

1607283573090.png

I did not have to use any sort of spacer on my setup that I recall. I'm running the 94/95 length cable. I did move the location of the cable bracket and grommet for routing purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Show the spacer Noobz.........I put a socket at the other end.

I don't have and never used the spacer. :shrug: If anything, mine was on the other end of adjustability and I had to work on it a bit to get the cable end onto the forks at each end by hooking the quadrant end first and 'pulling' to get it locked in at the other side.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t have time to install it this weekend. My son bought a condo a couple weeks ago and I’ve been helping him with getting that up to par. I read up on everything about this install, and I think I’ll just install my double hook quadrant just in case. I planned on that anyways. I’ll do it on Saturday morning.

Last edited:
I recently removed the entire MM clutch cable kit for the install of a hydraulic TOB setup.
I had a look at the cable and it appears I did install the spacer/widget/heat shrink onto the end of the cable like shown in the MM link.The MM kit worked great but after upgrading the clutch the install of the Hyd. TOB became necessary for the enjoyment factor especially in stop and go traffic,I'm not getting any younger.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently removed the entire MM clutch cable kit for the install of a hydraulic TOB setup.
I had a look at the cable and it appears I did install the spacer/widget/heat shrink onto the end of the cable like shown in the MM link.The MM kit worked great but after upgrading the clutch the install of the Hyd. TOB became necessary for the enjoyment factor especially in stop and go traffic,I'm not getting any younger.
What one did you go with? Do you recommend it?

I've been running the standard el cheapo advanced auto clutch cable in both my foxes for many years now both with the steeda double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster so I would assume a standard cable (not adjustable) would work fine on your hayes quadrant. I find these standard $26 cables last as long as you lubricate them prior to install.

I've been running the standard el cheapo advanced auto clutch cable in both my foxes for many years now both with the steeda double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster so I would assume a standard cable (not adjustable) would work fine on your hayes quadrant. I find these standard $26 cables last as long as you lubricate them prior to install.

I've had nothing but problems from my own cars and customers cars with the el cheapo cables....in particular the advance auto ones.

I've had nothing but problems from my own cars and customers cars with the el cheapo cables....in particular the advance auto ones.
really? I've destroyed about three adjustable cables and one maximum motorsports cable I purchased was/is way to long so stuck with the advanced auto ones and they work fine. Both cars have 3550's with centerforce clutches in them with steeda quadrants and firewall adjusters

really? I've destroyed about three adjustable cables and one maximum motorsports cable I purchased was/is way to long so stuck with the advanced auto ones and they work fine. Both cars have 3550's with centerforce clutches in them with steeda quadrants and firewall adjusters

Maybe they upgraded them in the last 10 years...thats the last time I had one fail..on a stock car. The metal wire housing for the cable would slowly pull through the end piece that went through the grommet at the firewall. Happened multiple times for me also ( I worked for advance for 7 years ) went through 3 or 4 cables. Went through 2 autozone cables...bought one from Ford 10 years ago and its in my current car too.

I can't even tell you how many customers cars it happened to. I stopped putting them in customers cars maybe about 15 years ago.

This is why I tell people to look for a cable with the white or off white plastic ends. The black plastic ends always caused problems.

There was a company that made one with metal ends but I haven't been able to find them in a few years.

Maybe they upgraded them in the last 10 years...thats the last time I had one fail..on a stock car. The metal wire housing for the cable would slowly pull through the end piece that went through the grommet at the firewall. Happened multiple times for me also ( I worked for advance for 7 years ) went through 3 or 4 cables. Went through 2 autozone cables...bought one from Ford 10 years ago and its in my current car too.

I can't even tell you how many customers cars it happened to. I stopped putting them in customers cars maybe about 15 years ago.

This is why I tell people to look for a cable with the white or off white plastic ends. The black plastic ends always caused problems.

There was a company that made one with metal ends but I haven't been able to find them in a few years.
What do you think of my cable then @90sickfox? See it up there?

Attachments

• A065B098-35C8-4217-9278-8B3AA7AF100E.jpeg
    A065B098-35C8-4217-9278-8B3AA7AF100E.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

thanks for the info, it's pretty interesting. Maybe they did switch manufactures because both of my current cables are well over seven years old and have the white plastic end that mates up to the firewall adjuster.

I’ve been saving, looking and contemplating for a few years. Picked up this one owner 2018 F150, 5.0, 4X4. Can’t wait to play around with it.

Attachments

• 2D1E0047-00AE-4B5B-9C34-F6002FD8826B.jpeg
    2D1E0047-00AE-4B5B-9C34-F6002FD8826B.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 47
  • 88234471-9F8B-4588-B0E9-ED931317585D.jpeg
    88234471-9F8B-4588-B0E9-ED931317585D.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users