Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

How did the flush water look? Don't worry about the bone head move we all do um at one time or another. If the flush water was nasty I would suggest getting some of the radiator flush stuff and doing it again. You can put it in and take it for a cruise, let it cool off and drain it. When you are ready to refill the system, this applies for any refill, if you can put the front of the car up on Jack stands. The upward angle helps to get the air out. Run the car with the radiator cap off. Watch the water flow. When the thermostat opens you'll see movement. Keep adding water or coolant until all the bubbles stop. Take it for a ride and check it a couple times to make sure the level doesn't drop in the radiator. Hope it helps!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

When I was a punk 18 year old, I just stuck my hose in the radiator, and ran the water while the engine was running. I kept an eye on the engine temp, but I had water poouring out the drain and the cap until it was clean.

for filling, I would top off with my mixed water/coolant, and let engine idle up to temp with the radiator cap off. When it was warm and I could see coolant flowing I would cap it, shut off the engine, and make sure the overflow was full. I’d then top off over the next few starts but never needed much

ok thats not how to flush a system....1st step take off a heater hose, dont matter which one the easiest one to disconnect. Turn on the heat inside car. Take off rad cap. open drain cock. Put hose into disconnected heater hose....run water until the water coming out everywhere is fresh clean water. Hook heater hose back up, let it drain and add antifreeze.

When I was a punk 18 year old, I just stuck my hose in the radiator, and ran the water while the engine was running. I kept an eye on the engine temp, but I had water poouring out the drain and the cap until it was clean.

for filling, I would top off with my mixed water/coolant, and let engine idle up to temp with the radiator cap off. When it was warm and I could see coolant flowing I would cap it, shut off the engine, and make sure the overflow was full. I’d then top off over the next few starts but never needed much
Thats how I do it. Flushes clean as can be

ok thats not how to flush a system....1st step take off a heater hose, dont matter which one the easiest one to disconnect. Turn on the heat inside car. Take off rad cap. open drain cock. Put hose into disconnected heater hose....run water until the water coming out everywhere is fresh clean water. Hook heater hose back up, let it drain and add antifreeze.
Exactly, water everywhere with a hose

Thanks for the input, guys. I am planning to replace the thermostat eventually and I understand that when installing the Holley Terminator X system, you drain some of the coolant before removing the upper intake manifold, so maybe I will give a more thorough coolant flush awhen I do one of those things.

This is one of the videos I checked out before doing what I did yesterday:

View: https://youtu.be/Y5mcqF3Yj9c

In the meanwhile, there’s a bunch of cat litter on the floor around the Fox that I need to clean up.
19F3EC6F-C9EC-45DA-9B23-C66CB7E83F04.jpeg

Inside of the tank looks shockingly clean/in good shape. Fuel pump looks to be in really good shape too.
1DA96132-A231-4FD6-9F6C-DDC2A5535439.jpeg
9C03D5BA-07AE-4905-A5CD-8FAA62B46640.jpeg
Looks like I already have a Walbro fuel pump but not sure which model/number
8D97E60A-2F6D-4816-9001-E5BF6E271DD6.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more shots from underneath the car, with the tank out. Seems to be a lot of residue/build up behind the differential...not sure what this is.
8856CA56-641A-459E-9055-BAA54407D245.jpeg
B343FE2B-021F-4380-86F8-4D82517FE9B4.jpeg
4505CB16-53FC-4FE9-B13E-4669B9DDE566.jpeg

Does it line up with the pinion yoke on the differential?
I think so but need to get back underneath car and look again. I did some searching and Im guessing you’re asking because it could be a leaking pinion seal. File that under parts that I forgot even exist, lol. I will need to do some reading about that and figure out what needs to be done in that area.

Back to the tank - I replaced the fuel filter neck grommet and the vapor valve seal.

Old vapor valve seal versus new
A992CD89-F7E8-40CC-B0C4-14E9CFF2505F.jpeg

Today I need to clean up the area where the old pads were a bit more before putting new pads on. I also replaced the lock ring and seal for the fuel pump. The harness seems fine but I wrapped the uncovered parts with new tape.

Since I have the fuel tank out and there’s all this space, I’m thinking it makes sense to go ahead and flush the differential and replace the gasket.

No gasket on the diff. Just a solid bead of RTV.

Here's a little tip on the differential. Open the fill port first. The very first time I changed my diff fluid, I pulled the cover, cleaned it out, sealed it back up, and then found the fill port on the differential seized in place, in which I proceeded to strip it upon removal. That prompted me having to order a diff cover that had a fill and drain port and wait the week or so for it to arrive

Those tank grommets look bad. It's great that you are going through the car and addressing things that should be done due to old age and such. While you don't have the tank in, i would also replace the fuel filter, and inspect the control arm bushing and see if any of those are failing or dry rotting out

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
No gasket on the diff. Just a solid bead of RTV.

Here's a little tip on the differential. Open the fill port first. The very first time I changed my diff fluid, I pulled the cover, cleaned it out, sealed it back up, and then found the fill port on the differential seized in place, in which I proceeded to strip it upon removal. That prompted me having to order a diff cover that had a fill and drain port and wait the week or so for it to arrive

Those tank grommets look bad. It's great that you are going through the car and addressing things that should be done due to old age and such. While you don't have the tank in, i would also replace the fuel filter, and inspect the control arm bushing and see if any of those are failing or dry rotting out
I have a LubeLocker differential gasket that I was planning to use. Thanks for the tip on the fill port. Will definitely remember that.

I have not looked super closely at the control arms/bushings yet but definitely will. I had been thinking about upgrading at least the lower control arms and maybe replacing/upgrading the uppers...but I did read that the uppers are a pain in the ass to replace. I need to do more reading on control arm options. Seems there’s a lot of differing opinions out there.