Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Don’t get me wrong it’s doable to do by yourself, just having a buddy help is easier. I wouldn’t pay a shop to do it. It’s pretty straight forward.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You could bring it to my house and I could help you with the transmission and rear main seal. No need to pay someone...you're Stangnet family now. We are in the same geographical area. I just put my tko back in. No jack...just slid it on my chest and benched it up...hit the clutch with my left foot...and shook the the transmission with both hands. Went right in no problem.
I used one of those quick clamps for the clutch fork! Made it a little more manageable.

It's not terribly hard to do. You figure you are probably saying $750-1K on labor if you do it yourself. A RMS is $25, a sleeve another $20, the install tool $10. Spring for some ARP flywheel bolts for $25ish and a clutch kit for whatever you want to spend.

Maybe add a few bucks for new driveshaft bolts, and the flywheel will need to be a decision you make when you inspect. Resurface, or replace. I believe a new cast flywheel from Ford is $170. Resurfacing might run you $75ish.

Plus, you can clean and degrease the underside and get an overall inspection of the car.
Agree with the cleaning and degreasing. That can definitely open a can of worms, but it was nice to get everything clean and new.
Then if you have to do it again, it’s that much easier!

Reactions: 1 users
And also @DudeStang , what fun would it be making a video of someone else working on your car?
You need to do this, and document your trials, tribulations, and ultimate success like all the other projects!

• Haha
After hanging around the shop and reading horror stories here I'm hesitant to let somebody else work on my crap, besides I keep finding things that need attention 'while I'm there'.
I'm always getting stories about how some shop told them they needed this or that (mostly brake jobs that are not needed) and it was outrageous,

12 point closed end 12mm wrench stacked with another good wrench works well. If stubborn a little heat never hurts.
Here’s where I’ve used the leg and foot technique. Get the wrench set up.... scoot under there legs first, and break it loose, boot first! (I really need a lift in the garage... lol)

I’ve got a lot of messages in here to respond to but...priorities first. We just finished replacing the power steering pump. Put almost one quart of Type F fluid in and started the car up. The fluid went down so I started putting more in. The pump started making a loud whining sound, lower in pitch than the sound I was dealing with previously and it’s definitely coming from the pump or the pulley. After I turned the car off, the fluid started foaming a little bit and close to overflowing.
2DC938C9-2A49-42AD-8EA7-9AFC079530D2.jpeg

My two theories (guesses really) are that either the pump is bad....or that the return hose that runs from the pump to the power steering cooler is too narrow...though I’m not sure that would cause the sound. We got a length of generic power steering hose from auto zone and it was a tighter fit on the ends.

Any thoughts? Lol

Neighbor friend of ours who is a mechanic came by and took a look and had me start and stop the car a few times and turn the wheel from side to side. Seemed to help get rid of some of the bubbles/foaming and definitely reduced the volume of the noise. It’s still making some noise but it’s much quieter than when we started it up.

You could bring it to my house and I could help you with the transmission and rear main seal. No need to pay someone...you're Stangnet family now. We are in the same geographical area. I just put my tko back in. No jack...just slid it on my chest and benched it up...hit the clutch with my left foot...and shook the the transmission with both hands. Went right in no problem.
Thanks man. I might have to take you up on that offer..though your tko story sounds hardcore. Were you also smoking a cigar while doing that? Haha.

I say do it yourself. You'll save money, be able to buy some good tools to use later, and you'll learn something more about the car. It's not your primary ride and you've got all winter to get it done.
Thanks...this is helpful perspective to have. I do sometimes have to remind myself that it is a project car and it can be out of commission for periods of time while I do work on it.

Hardest part honestly for me is getting the bolts loosened up on the driveshaft.. and if you have a factory mid pipe you'll enjoy dealing with the rusty exhaust bolts otherwise just take your time and drink beer.
I have an off-road x-pipe that was installed by a previous owner. Based on my experience unhooking the exhaust to get the LCAs in, the exhaust hardware has seen better days.

Last edited:
It's not terribly hard to do. You figure you are probably saying $750-1K on labor if you do it yourself. A RMS is $25, a sleeve another $20, the install tool $10. Spring for some ARP flywheel bolts for $25ish and a clutch kit for whatever you want to spend.

Maybe add a few bucks for new driveshaft bolts, and the flywheel will need to be a decision you make when you inspect. Resurface, or replace. I believe a new cast flywheel from Ford is $170. Resurfacing might run you $75ish.

Plus, you can clean and degrease the underside and get an overall inspection of the car.
When I think of the costs saved...it is more tempting. And I really do want get the cleaning/degreasing of the underside done. I wouldn’t have any excuse for not doing it if I was already spending however long under the car to replace the RMS and clutch, lol.

I was looking at this McLeod kit on LMR. Seems like a good deal and it includes the flywheel and the rear main seal.

McLeod makes a good clutch. I've installed a bunch of them over the years in all types of cars. You shouldn't have any issues with that kit. I do always recommend an actual Ford throw out bearing though. Not familiar with McLeod Ford TOB.

Yeah man, the tko was a real PITA. I got the transmission almost in but the clutch was off center a hair....to fix that you have to hit the clutch a wiggle the trans. Two people would've helped in that situation for sure. This transmission has been a joy to install...take out...and install again. 3rd

I could come that way too. Might make it easier for you. I know you want to get some cleaning done so I could come out and help you remove it...then come back for install. Once you see how it comes apart you may be fine putting it back in by yourself. The t5 isn't heavy at all. The hardest thing is getting the header nuts loose. Takes a long extension and a good universal joint. They sit at an awkward angle. Everything else is easy peasy.

It should only take...maybe 4 hrs tops to pull the t5. By myself I can have them out in about an hour and a half if the exhaust bolts cooperate. The last customer I had to do this to his...

20200829_163906.jpg

His exhaust was completely shot. If you are thinking about headers or h pipes this is the best time to do them. The bolts to worry about are the ones at the header and x pipe connections. Either way I have everything to get them off...one way...or another.

• Surprised
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Got the power steering pump replacement video edited and uploaded. Since my friend was in town to help record and with the install, there was plenty of idiocy.

I wish I would have learned about hose removal tools before working on this, lol.

View: https://youtu.be/jz_7ibtAc1U

While working on the power steering, we found a small leak on the lower radiator hose. Seems like it might be good to replace a few more of the hoses while I’m at it.

An unexpected gift arrived today...
DAD91C72-292B-4098-9680-1512536F8D6D.jpeg
C6AC8855-C8B2-4E28-B4A9-9C1D4C15BC9E.jpeg

My friend Ben who helped with the power steering pump - him and another friend sent me an early Xmas gift. I had been trying to decide between 3.55s and 3.73s but I guess 4.10s were decided for me, lol. I’m willing to give them a try and see how it goes

Funny thing, the other friend...him and I got Ben a set of 4.30s as a birthday or Christmas gift like 15 years ago when he had a 2002 Mustang GT. He had them put on the car and kept them until he went with a built engine/pro charger setup and then moved down to 3.73s. I remember that thing being pretty bananas to drive with just the 4.30s.