finally got to the track......pretty dissapointed....

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
I got to the track, my very first run was my best, then i couldnt get any better.

My very first run was...

Reaction: .2703
60ft: 2.5457
330ft: 7.2071
1/8thET: 1.9042
1/8MPH 66.68
1000ET: 14.0847
1000MPH: 77.31
1/4ET: 16.7421
1/4thMPH: 84.75

My 2nd was

Reaction: .3586
60ft: 2.5162
330ft: 7.1860
1/8thET: 10.8954
1/8MPH 66.45
1000ET: 14.0871
1000MPH: 77.05
1/4ET: 16.7534
1/4thMPH: 84.51

3rd run
Reaction: .2464
60ft: 2.5578
330ft: 7.2751
1/8thET: 11.0168
1/8MPH 65.83
1000ET: 14.2373
1000MPH: 76.40
1/4ET: 16.9274
1/4thMPH: 83.50
Now on this 3rd run i notice my unknown knock comes and bites me in the ass during the pass, it hurt my ETs and after the run we know the knock IS INTERNAL. I dont think its a bearing or it would do it all the time. Lifter maybe?, it happens when the car is hot/beat on (ie drag racing) maybe an oiling problem???

4th and last run ( i let the car cool and my knock went away)
Reaction: 2.102
60ft: 2.5164
330ft: 7.2054
1/8thET: 10.9331
1/8MPH 66.04
1000ET: 14.1464
1000MPH: 76.49
1/4ET: 16.8345
1/4thMPH: 83.74

I went for a 5th but my knock returns just by waiting in line so i left the lanes, wasnt going to chance anything.

I notice my reaction times do get better over the night...
I was worried about my burnouts, my carrier is broken so i am plagued with a one tire peel, i spun that one tire good but it really didnt affect my launches. The car seemed to hook up fine.

The car performed as expected, i was expecting to trap that low-mid 80s MPH and i've heard a stock auto will barely get out of 2nd before the 1/4th, it was right, it just shifts near the line. I beat a dodge stealth that ran 19.4s :p

The car was pretty consistent but slow :(, that knock started hurting my times and then i decided to lay off the track for the night, i was riding home in this car.

I WAS expecting for my 1/4th ET to be like a second faster.
I dont think it was my lauching, i did a nice stall to 1500 and hammered it, hooked up good.

I was hoping for a 15.7ish, my dad was expecting a low-mid 16
My dad thinks it was a combonation of a 132k motor, the AOD :( and a 2.73 rearend. and not begin able to hold 1st in my AOD ( shift linkage screwed up)

I dont know if this is about right or do i have some other deeper problem??

My car is pretty much stock with headers...catless pipe and flows out back
my car was running around 13 deg BTDC of 91 octane.
I had some water jugs in the car, i had a good 30 lbs of weight i didnt need but thats pretty small so i dont think it matters.

But nonetheless, it was EXTREMELY FUN!!!!! I had a great time.
so if you guys have any input it would be cool!
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Was it a knock or a tapping noise? theres a big difference.If its knocking I would go get it checked out.Whats your oil pressure? High 16's,,what elevation is your track at? Gears,high speed stall and some DR's will do wonders for you but I wouldnt waste my money if your motor has a rod knock :nono: You mite wanna invest in a new motor if its serious!!

Yeah, I would worry if I heard a knock, I would think an auto would be faster than that :shrug: . I would agree, elevation would have a factor, any cel's, codes?? I would chk the basics, codes, any vacuum leaks, full tune up, find out what elevation you're at.

I knew the AOD,s turned slower times but that is really slow. Are you sure you were pushing the right pedal?? :D The knock sounds like something that needs investigating before any more trips to the track. Has the car had a tune up lately I thought mid to high 15's were normal for the AOD.

Foxfan88 said:
Its a knock, how can a rod knock only when hot ??
If it knocks it will do it all the time right??

It can happen when the car heats up and the viscosity of the oil breaks down.
But yeah generally, if you have rod knock, it would do it all the time. Are you sure you do not have detonation? If you car is detonating, it will hammer your car’s performance. Are you spinning off the line, because those 60 ft. times are terrible? Play with your launch technique, best mod you can do to your car is becoming a better driver. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Foxfan88 said:
My dad and my friend said i didnt spin off the line...
The car is pissing me off, should i do some small cosmetic stuff and sell it, then get the 5 spd 5.0 I REALLY WANTED?!?!
Why not just swap out your auto? My car was a dog on the line even with most of my mods. My car turned into a different animal when I swapped out the AOD for the t-5 and 3.73s.

There is something wrong with your car. Knocking noise like you explained needs some serious attention. I'd like to offer advise but I can't because I can't hear it in person. Get is checked out and fixed.

It's really cool that you had a good time, that is what it is all about. A lot of people come to the track nervous and worried about what's going to happen and the leave PO'd because things didn't go as well as they would like. Just kick back and have fun. It's a fun ride, maby more fun in a faster coaster, but still fun right?

EDIT: oh yeah, did you ever fix code 67? (shift lever position malfunction)

Foxfan88 said:
i dont want to drop a t5 into a car that will blow up like in a month....
Once again I am not bashing on you FoxFan, but I think there is something wrong with your car that neede to be fixed a while ago, do you know if the car has been staying cool? your cooling system may need help.
But either way you have a Fox, so fug it, if it has issues pick up an explorer motor and a T-5 bang fun factor up by+10 :nice:

But the sound will only show up when i kick the cars ass, like if i stall up, try to burnout, romp on it ALOT, then it will show up. If i let it cool, it will leave. How do i get it checked out??

But then again, its happened before with just regular driving, and its happened more often than it used to...

And i'm 17 and my budget is extremely limited, i cant just buy things and toss em in, i have to THINK and plan hard. I cant wait till i get a full time job after i graduate...

You need to pinpoint where this sound is comming from, bottom line. It could be the trans even the torque converter. So many moving parts, amost any of them could be making the noise. Details please.

I cant tell how hot i am running, the guages dont work.
only factory ones that work are the speedo and battery.

i have an little mini tach, some idiot before me put a whole new harness on the car, a whole new ignition, on a STOCK motor

I've got harness connecters that arent connected, i dont know where they go...

And when we bought the car, a guy was trying to sell it for his son's friend....

The back tires were BALD when we got her, she must have been abused....
It doesnt have the factory tranny, must have blown by being abused.

The guy had to install a fusebox for the injectors, half of the motor wouldnt fire, like one header was cold and the other was hot....