flooding after injector upgrade

rodsirk

Jan 11, 2007
I recently made some changes to my 96 Cobra by adding forged pistons and aftermarket rods and upgraded from a S-trim to a T-trim Vortec, following the engine builders recommendation I changed to 60lb injectors and had the Pro-M mass air recalibrated. When I tried starting the car, it flooded badly with fuel running out of the headers. Did anything else need to be recalibrated? any thoughts? Thanks, Rod

• Sponsors (?)

There may be an injector or two sticking open. Serious damage could be caused if you continue to turn it over in this condition. To check for stuck/leaky injectors, put a pressure guage on the fuel rail and pressurize the fuel system. I think that you can do this by turning the key to the "run" postion, but I can't remember. Anyway, a sudden drop in pressure when the key is turned off may be the result of one or more leaking injectors.

flooding

Thanks, I'll check this; the car has a fuel pressure gage and it does read if the key is turned on and off. We checked it with an analyzer and the code indicates a bad main control unit, could this be because of the Vortech chip? Thanks again, Rod

? bad mass air

Fuel pressure holds good with key off and computer checks OK with Vortech chip removed. I had the Mass air reset for the 60lb injectors at Mass Air Systems but I wonder if it is correct. Any idea on what the pulse width should be while cranking over with the 60lb injectors and 40lb of fuel pressure? Rod