food for thought..

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
couple of ideas for you guys here

1) sadly, Ive got the old clutch fan in my car (can you say horsepower robber!) and its actually a really cool deal how it works. when the oil in the fan heats up, there's less friction and the fan doesn't spin. Just out of curiosity, If i painted the front of it white (so it absorbs less heat) could i keep my car running cooler??

2)also, after my fuel pump deal, we towed my car home. Someone was trying to tell me that even with the trans in neutral that it would wreck it because it can;t lubricate blah blah blah......I told him he was smokin dope, the only part of the trans that depends on the engine is the flywheel/torque converter. is there any validity to his statement?

3) what can i do to make my torque converter more ...solid i geuss.... i'm just suprised that I have a hard time breaking the tires loose from a stand still. granted their 3.00 gears (yuck!) and its not pumping out some massive 500 RWHP, but i'd think it would be a little easier?

• Sponsors (?)

couple of ideas for you guys here

1) sadly, Ive got the old clutch fan in my car (can you say horsepower robber!) and its actually a really cool deal how it works. when the oil in the fan heats up, there's less friction and the fan doesn't spin. Just out of curiosity, If i painted the front of it white (so it absorbs less heat) could i keep my car running cooler??
Actually the fliud should be silicone-based; and should try to expand as it heats up. Since it's in a sealed housing, the fluid pressure should increase; and cause the fan clutch to be less free-wheeling and make the fan move more!
2)also, after my fuel pump deal, we towed my car home. Someone was trying to tell me that even with the trans in neutral that it would wreck it because it can;t lubricate blah blah blah......I told him he was smokin dope, the only part of the trans that depends on the engine is the flywheel/torque converter. is there any validity to his statement?
The tranny fluid also serves to lubricate the transmission. Without the engine spinning the torqe convertor around and driving the fluid pump in the tranny; damage could indeed occur to the gears and clutches in the transmission. But I doubt you towed the car far enough to really hurt anything
3) what can i do to make my torque converter more ...solid i geuss.... i'm just suprised that I have a hard time breaking the tires loose from a stand still. granted their 3.00 gears (yuck!) and its not pumping out some massive 500 RWHP, but i'd think it would be a little easier?
You want the torque converter to "stall" at a higher RPM, so that you're higher up in the powerband of your engine; up where the torque is pretty massive when the torque converter completely "grabs".
(Yes, I know, I'm over-simplifying this. But John is probably one of the very few around here who might know even less than me about the intricacies of how an auto trans works!)
You also can upgrade your clutches to "grab harder". They're pretty soft in factory trim to keep customers from complaining about the snappy shifts. On newer slush-boxes (like from '96 and newer models of the AOD from Ford); the computer actually controls fluid pressure to activate the clutches. When I plug in the ol' Superchips box and re-tune my F150 for towing, one of the things it changes are "clutch activation pressures" to make the upshifts more firm. If I'm driving it around in "Tow Tune" without the loaded horse trailer, I find my head smacking the headrest more often. It's also kinda hard on the treadlife of my rear tires.
The firmer shifts are in fact a little better for the transmission; because a "soft shift" is actually similar to "slipping the clutch" on a manual gearbox - it just makes the clutches wear out faster. Of course you can go "overkill" on firming up the shifts and possibly damage the gearsets; as well as possibly break u-joints in your driveshaft, crack ring/pinon gear teeth, twist smaller lightweight axle shafts..... create all kinds of havoc on everything in and behind the transmission. You need to find a "balance point" somewhere.

Actually the fliud should be silicone-based; and should try to expand as it heats up. Since it's in a sealed housing, the fluid pressure should increase; and cause the fan clutch to be less free-wheeling and make the fan move more!

yeah, no ****!......for some reason i had this bass akwards, I geuss the opposite then would be to paint it black (great stones song by the way) so it absorbs more heat sooner??

Great! Now I've got a sitar plinking and tom-toms thumping as an intro to Jagger singing in my head! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, if anybody is just waaaaaaaayyyy too young or has been living in a cave; you can now join all us OF's in having this song run around in your heads.

"Paint it Black", audio without the obligatory "military action" video.

I didn't use any of the videos that showed DS II Soldiers/Marines doing their stuff because I have heard the word from an impeccable source (Just got back about 6 weeks ago - and he's a non-com and most decidedly not a REMF or POG) that the guys and gals "over there" are actually doing something good.

man you got that all wrong StDr....... it's Satisfaction that should have that should have guys hanging out of Hueys and strafing VC....Paint It Black was about Mick's girlfriend (wife?) that got killed so it should have video of a guy at a cemetary or getting shi*faced at the bar or something.....:nice:

man you got that all wrong StDr....... it's Satisfaction that should have that should have guys hanging out of Hueys and strafing VC....Paint It Black was about Mick's girlfriend (wife?) that got killed so it should have video of a guy at a cemetary or getting shi*faced at the bar or something.....:nice:

Yeah, Bryan, I know that...... but most videos {produced with "Paint it Black" played for accompaniment} are military scenarios showing people/things being shot up, blown up, or napalmed. I think it began with a late-80's TV show called "Tour of Duty", which centered on a squad of guys who "took long walks in the woods" in VietNam. They used a lot of period music, but the Stones were a preferred group. If I remember correctly, the "point man" for the squad received a letter that (like Jagger) his girlfriend/wife/family member was killed in a wreck or a riot or something; and he "went a little crazy", taking astonishingly unnecessary risks, etc. One firefight was filmed with "Paint it Black" played at the volume level of the average TV commercial, and the wrong idea has stuck.

Hardly anybody ever listens to/has read/knows the lyrics in the second verse - it "explains" the song.

EDIT: Now that you mention it; I scratched around in my brain and I think I remember a scene in that "Satisfaction" was played as the guys were riding home after a dust-off.

woodsnake: Both are terms for "non-combatant ancilliary personell"
REMF = Rear Echelon Mother-F***er

Now made more "politically correct" as:
POG = Person Other (than) Grunt

Hey, John, congratulations! :nice:
I may be mistaken; but I think this is the first time one of your threads has been 'jacked! :banana:

Yeah, Bryan, I know that...... but most videos {produced with "Paint it Black" played for accompaniment} are military scenarios showing people/things being shot up, blown up, or napalmed. I think it began with a late-80's TV show called "Tour of Duty", which centered on a squad of guys who "took long walks in the woods" in VietNam. They used a lot of period music, but the Stones were a preferred group. If I remember correctly, the "point man" for the squad received a letter that (like Jagger) his girlfriend/wife/family member was killed in a wreck or a riot or something; and he "went a little crazy", taking astonishingly unnecessary risks, etc. One firefight was filmed with "Paint it Black" played at the volume level of the average TV commercial, and the wrong idea has stuck.

Hardly anybody ever listens to/has read/knows the lyrics in the second verse - it "explains" the song.

EDIT: Now that you mention it; I scratched around in my brain and I think I remember a scene in that "Satisfaction" was played as the guys were riding home after a dust-off.

woodsnake: Both are terms for "non-combatant ancilliary personell"
REMF = Rear Echelon Mother-F***er

Now made more "politically correct" as:
POG = Person Other (than) Grunt

Hey, John, congratulations! :nice:
I may be mistaken; but I think this is the first time one of your threads has been 'jacked! :banana:

IIRC, in Apocalypse Now, there was a similar scene where the guys were flying in the Huey and Satisfaction was playing. one of my favorite songs of all time and damn sure my favorite chopper of all time. i wanted to join the marines when i got out of high school and fly choppers but i couldn't get in because i wore glasses and had really bad asthma back then, mostly exercise induced so the recruiter told me i wouldn't be able to go to flight school, so i told him to get the hell out of my house......needless to say i was a little pissed off at that, since i really wanted to fly choppers and especially the Huey. they were just starting to phase the huey out at that time but they were still in service for a while after that. oh well, i guess it doesn't really matter much now but i REALLY wanted to fly back then

Do NOT i reapeat NOT get me started on apacolypse now! that has to have one of the BEST soundtracks of any movie whatsoever.

lol, w00t!! frickin, jacked thred!! lol, thats what talk is all about anyway!:D If I want an answer, I'll post it in tech!

EDIT: Not bad for a 18 yr. old to know about jager! lol, if you want to get further back yet, we talkin curtis mayfield.

IIRC, in Apocalypse Now, there was a similar scene where the guys were flying in the Huey and Satisfaction was playing. one of my favorite songs of all time and damn sure my favorite chopper of all time. i wanted to join the marines when i got out of high school and fly choppers but i couldn't get in because i wore glasses and had really bad asthma back then, mostly exercise induced so the recruiter told me i wouldn't be able to go to flight school, so i told him to get the hell out of my house......needless to say i was a little pissed off at that, since i really wanted to fly choppers and especially the Huey. they were just starting to phase the huey out at that time but they were still in service for a while after that. oh well, i guess it doesn't really matter much now but i REALLY wanted to fly back then

Same story here; except I wanted to join the Army and fly the Cobra. UH-1's -even UH-1's loaded for bear- were still UH-1's. Compared to even a C- or even B-model AH-1, Huey's were like drivin a truck! Choppers with missiles and rockets ruled in my mind. But the eyeglasses on my face (since age 8) automatically took me out of fun and games at Ft Rucker (the Army's solitary eggbeater school at the time); and the recruiter told me to get my right knee fixed, then maybe he'd see me. :nonono: :damnit:

EDIT for John: Okay, we can talk Curtis Mayfield; but only if you first tell me who released "Rollin' on the River" before Ike & Tina Turner! C'mon, it's stupidly easy! :D

Same story here; except I wanted to join the Army and fly the Cobra. UH-1's -even UH-1's loaded for bear- were still UH-1's. Compared to even a C- or even B-model AH-1, Huey's were like drivin a truck! Choppers with missiles and rockets ruled in my mind. But the eyeglasses on my face (since age 8) automatically took me out of fun and games at Ft Rucker (the Army's solitary eggbeater school at the time); and the recruiter told me to get my right knee fixed, then maybe he'd see me. :nonono: :damnit:

EDIT for John: Okay, we can talk Curtis Mayfield; but only if you first tell me who released "Rollin' on the River" before Ike & Tina Turner! C'mon, it's stupidly easy! :D

EDIT again: It's so easy, I'm gonna make it a two-part question.... What did the songwriter pump in New Orleans? (Trick question - you gotta look at how the word is spelled and work it out from there.)

AHH ! you guyus beat me to it, CCR of course!! "fortunate son" has to be my favorite, but i could listen to any of thier songs all day long, just like the eagles.

I really liked the plug for fortunate son in the live free or die hard movie (typical die hard if anyone hasn't seen it yet)

somehow i had missed that you couldn't fly the "bus" either. stupid army regs......