Forged vs Cast vs Hypereutectic Pistons

Probably due to my Kentucky education- but I still find this funny every time it happens :D
6016D94A-3D96-40F4-8EB4-40708C1A22DD.png

:demon:

• Sponsors (?)

Now you know I don't understand all this wiz bang computer speak but let me take a stab at it, you want me to ditch my kindle with the strategically placed crack in the screen?

No... I want you to create a budget for a computer system then make those funds available to me to build you one.

You need Model Number: elcheapo-fukin-pewterthatrunzwindowz

No... I want you to create a budget for a computer system then make those funds available to me to build you one.

You need Model Number: elcheapo-fukin-pewterthatrunzwindowz
I have a 5 yr old big screen 1terabyte 'puter in the home office but I sit on the couch or in the garage and tap on this thing cause it's portable and I'm doing other things too.
I will be installing a 'puter in the garage cause I can't get the motortrend on demand app on a kindle, why I don't know yet.

I have a 5 yr old big screen 1terabyte 'puter in the home office but I sit on the couch or in the garage and tap on this thing cause it's portable and I'm doing other things too.
I will be installing a 'puter in the garage cause I can't get the motortrend on demand app on a kindle, why I don't know yet.
Cause it’s an upgrade through amazon prime

:shrug:

The only thing the video doesn't really cover is what the meaning of the word "hypereutectic."

This article covers it pretty well.

"The word hypereutectic gets its name from the aluminum alloy used during the manufacturing process[. The] limit to how much silicon can be utilized so it is evenly distributed without large nodes of silicon forming [is called] the eutectic point [and] is around 12 percent. Hypereutectic means pushing this level of silicon beyond the normal amount that can be simply blended into the metal. Hypereutectic aluminum will typically have between 16-18 percent silicon in the alloy. Although hypereutectic pistons are still a cast piston, the addition of this extra silicon material gives several benefits over conventional cast pistons."

I think the hypereutectic pistons get a bad rap. I seem to recall people referring to them as "hypereucraptic" on occasion.

It's a great video for people who look down on Hyper-eutectic pistons. I have been saying for 25 years that forged pistons are not always the best option.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user