Found Coolant Leak, But How Do I Fix It?

Merrickd

Founding Member
Nov 14, 2000
Madison/Janesville,WI
Coolant is trickling out from the area where the two hoses connect. It appears to be coming from behind the black oval piece (not sure what it's called). Is it a matter of pulling the hoses and replacing what they mount into? Or is it going to need new hoses? Is it possible that some coolant is leaking into the interior? Sorry for my ignorance on this area. I'm at school an hour away from home and don't want to overhest.

• Sponsors (?)

Forgot the pic.

Attachments

• 20160506_064746.jpg
    20160506_064746.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 202
Is that all that it's leaking? Can you smell an antifreeze odor inside the car? As you may have guessed already, it looks like where the coolant hoses join the heater core. Replacing the core isn't a quick fix as I'm sure you're aware. There are 2 things being an hour away from home that you could do, depending on what you have with you. 1) Get a tube of Stop-Leak to hopefully get you by for a little bit until you can repair everything properly or 2) Stop by a home improvement store and get yourself a piece of pipe to connect the 2 hoses to and bypass the core if it is leaking. You will, of course, need to get some anti-freeze to replenish what you lose by doing this. But if the picture is any indication of your leak, it doesn't look horrible and is probably no big deal. So, if that is the case, a tube of Stop Leak is a cheap fix to get you by.

This is what I'd use. I've not had much luck with some of the other stuff on the market. Good luck!!!

bars-leaks-powder-radiator-stop-leak-5-oz_1040435.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If that is the silver powder stuff, running one tube is a good idea anyway. It is not going to plug up the heater core or radiator unless it is already full of corrosion. The Radiator Shop told me to run some on every classic radiator I have had flushed or recored. The Bars Leak in the jar (industrial strength rat poo) might have big enough pellets to cause problems on a healthy system, but it is doubtful.

Have you tried tightening the clamps to make sure they did not loosen or the rubber shrank a bit? It is hard to see on this little screen, but that was all that was wrong with mine.

If in doubt, bypass the core, it is May.