Fox Body 5-Speed to Auto Swap

91StangGT5.0

Oct 21, 2009
I am interested in know how to swap a 5-Speed from my Mustang GT and put in an AOD. I have a newly built AOD Transmission that has been built up to take somewhat of a beating. What parts are needed in order to swap the old 5-Speed out for the new AOD? I figure it would be fairly simple and easy to do.

• Sponsors (?)

I did the opposite of what your doing. All you should need to make it work would be the:
Transmission
Computer-
Pedals(steering column has to come down) unless you just take the clutch pedal out
Torque Converter, nuts for the TC
Flexplate with I believe the 164 tooth plate.

You will also need the cable for the kick down and the shifter box. In place of that you can use a B&M shifter is what I hear. My cross-member from the automatic worked fine on my 5-speed. I'm sure that others have something to add, but I think that about covers it. you can find all of that stuff off a junk car granted its whole.

I had to make up something for the reverse lights because the automatic system on mine had the reverse lights and Park/Neutral switch together.

What would be needed to wire the Neutral Safety Switch and Reverse Lights? I have a spare computer for an Automatic of the same year. Would I need the wiring harness or just the computer?

if you want to do it correctly you will need the wire harness for the aod transmission. if not, and if your wire friendly you can make your own harness. but you dont use the connector that way. and you will need to make sure that you use the correct wires or the magical smoke will come out. I think the aod trans has a 4 wire connector on the drivers side of the trans. your better off to just get a harness and wire it in. When i put my five speed in i just pinched the neutral start together and found a connector to wire my reverse lights. I tried using the switch out of my aod but the 5 speed had a different connector.