Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

• Sponsors (?)

I don't remember if I talked about tack rags much before.

First off, you'll want to use one while painting to keep dust off the vehicle.

Secondly it helps to remove dry overspray that you'll get while painting.

Here's a tack rag wiped over a couple panels that were completely painted end to end. Notice how the overspray can lay back onto the panel as it dries. It may be overspray, but it'll look like dirt nibs when you clear coat it.
IMG_0097.JPG

When using a tack rag, take it out of it's wrapper and completely unfold it, then fold it back into usable rag. As it is in the package it's too tightly folded to really be of much use picking up dirt.
IMG_0085.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Dave. What is your suggested final prep process? Some of my parts have been in primer a year and got scuffed maybe 30 days ago.
Do you mean "final" as in the panels are completely prepped and just need to be cleaned before painting?

What grit did you finish sanding the panels with?

Do you intend to seal before base and clear?

I bet you told me the details before Bill, but I just can't remember if you did.

Final as in cleaning them up before painting.

My plan is to hand wash each part with water and plain dish soap, dry . Mask, and set on stands. Do a final clean with blue shop towels and wax and Grease remover , tack cloth, paint.

I’ve also heard of people using plain windex.

Don't use windex. It'll leave a residue.

If you wash the parts using dish soap, rinse thoroughly with plain water.

It's key not to have any residue at all left on the panel.

Then wax and grease remove.

Do an initial tacking of the panel while very lightly blowing across the panel with a blower connected to your compressor just ahead of the tack cloth.

Then let it settle for about five minutes and tack the panel without air just prior to painting.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Dave, looking for suggestions on how to paint //reinstall my cobra rear bumper .

My main worry is cracking the paint when I install
It because of all the flexing and bending, and installing the rear support that keeps it flat is a hassle. I’m almost wondering if I should mount it up, mask off the car, take the bumper slightly loose And paint it, but this also feels like trouble.

Dave, looking for suggestions on how to paint //reinstall my cobra rear bumper .

My main worry is cracking the paint when I install
It because of all the flexing and bending, and installing the rear support that keeps it flat is a hassle. I’m almost wondering if I should mount it up, mask off the car, take the bumper slightly loose And paint it, but this also feels like trouble.
That's not a bad idea Bill.

If you're worried about damage, I would go ahead and do it that way.

Dave, can chrome plated valve covers be clear coated?
Just like any other bare metal, it'll need some sort of etch.

I'm not sure about any powder coating procedure though. You might ask or just research a clear powder coating. I'm not sure of their application procedures like I said, so I don't know about its need of an etch to provide adhesion.

Reactions: 1 user
Just like any other bare metal, it'll need some sort of etch.

I'm not sure about any powder coating procedure though. You might ask or just research a clear powder coating. I'm not sure of their application procedures like I said, so I don't know about its need of an etch to provide adhesion.
Sooooo....... Basically-No I can not clear coat chrome valve covers to keep them New,chrome and shiny :-(
Lol

Hey Dave. Since we've talked, (and I'm slowly coming to terms with having to do body work again) I'm looking at the hood and trunk more closely. There is a creased dent on the front of the hood.
image.jpeg

The hack in me would say that this needs to be filled. The other guy that watches you work wants to do stuff the way you do it and try and work out most of the dent. There is substructure behind that dent, I don't know where I'd even start.