Fox Fox build and projects 1993 gt

It was painted red and black and I didn't want to paint it white and have the rest of the car look a terrible shade of white. It was my best option for a decent look without being able to afford a whole car paint job

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If your head liner has a good backing you can scrape off the old material, glue on new stuff but I got one that is abs (?) plastic with the material glued to it, I think it was from lmr, you know stangnet members get a discount from our vendor sponsors.
I have the sunroof option so my backing was junk.

If your head liner has a good backing you can scrape off the old material, glue on new stuff but I got one that is abs (?) plastic with the material glued to it, I think it was from lmr, you know stangnet members get a discount from our vendor sponsors.
I have the sunroof option so my backing was junk.

The foam backing is good, the plastic peeled off and my kids pulled it the rest of the way. I could just replace the covering. I didn't know we got discounts but I'll prob just buy material and recover it if I can figure out how big of an area I need to get once i measure it

Last edited:
so took the stang to the store today and the powersteering pump started whineing like crazy, figured i could make it home and check the fluid level. Upon inspection, it seems as though the hoses? going into the rack from the pump are leaking?, and when i say leaking i mean spraying power steering fluid all over my h pipe, k member and under my engine. question is, i was thinking about going to a manual rack and pinion since its not my daily and power steering isnt all that important to me, also if i get rid of the pump and hydroulic rack and pinion its less that can leak? any ideas?

It sounds like you have some leaks beyond just power steering fluid if there is oil all over your k-member & h-pipe. Do a good degreasing & cleaning of those areas so that you can pinpoint the leaking areas. Power steering fluid normally leaks where the fittings go together but it could have a pinhole in a hose. Spending a weekend replacing all of the gaskets, belts, hoses, and vacuum lines is time well spent.

For the power steering, you'd be better off fixing the leaks on whichever part is leaking: rack, hoses, or pump / reservoir than just ripping it out and going manual. None of it is very expensive and you keep things working correctly.

Fix the leak, you'll thank me later. Why?
the reasons stated above +
Better resale value
PS really uses very little hp
Does not make your arms bigger unless you daily drive it and then it's still unlikely unless you live on Lombard st in California. Then you will be putting it back on anyway.
It's not a race car.

It sounds like you have some leaks beyond just power steering fluid if there is oil all over your k-member & h-pipe. Do a good degreasing & cleaning of those areas so that you can pinpoint the leaking areas. Power steering fluid normally leaks where the fittings go together but it could have a pinhole in a hose. Spending a weekend replacing all of the gaskets, belts, hoses, and vacuum lines is time well spent.

For the power steering, you'd be better off fixing the leaks on whichever part is leaking: rack, hoses, or pump / reservoir than just ripping it out and going manual. None of it is very expensive and you keep things working correctly.

I looked under the car, I do have the usual mustang leaks, and It looks like its leakin from the drain plug? , but it is definitely leaking or (spraying) out of the power steering rack where the lines go in near the steering shaft. As you said I need to degrease it and clean it up then fill it and see where it's coming from, I'll post pics so if anyone runs into this problem in the future it will help hopefully. Thanks for the info guys

Man it gets better, got it up on jackstands and theres transmission (red) fluid coming out from where the driveshaft goes into the transmission i think it's the tailshaft bushing, easy to replace? I guess I'll be spending alot of time replacing seals , ugh, also I think the rear main seal is leaking

Last edited:
Man it gets better, got it up on jackstands and theres transmission (red) fluid coming out from where the driveshaft goes into the transmission i think it's the tailshaft bushing, easy to replace? I guess I'll be spending alot of time replacing seals , ugh, also I think the rear main seal is leaking
Truthfully, neither is a monster (sorry Mike). A bit of a PITA, but you can knock it out relatively fast.

That could be your tailshaft bushing / seal or a combination of that + the yoke itself. It would be a good time to replace the u-joints also. Once all of the leaks and deferred maintenance items are fixed you can enjoy the car.

Generally when someone converts to manual steering it's for weight savings, simplicity and cleanliness of engine bay. These cars typically aren't daily drivers and would normally be wearing skinny tires up front. If that doesn't really describe your car and your direction with the car maybe going manual wouldn't be the best option for you.

I personally if it were me and already knew i'd be yanking the mid pipe, crossmember, transmission, clutch setup, flywheel to replace the tail shaft bushing and rear main seal would probably skip over the power to manual steering swap for now. Until at least I could verify exactly where it's leaking from.

So I filled the power steering reservoir, had my son turn the wheel from lock to lock, and theres no place where the fluid is shooting out. It drips down the rack where the drivers side bolt is that holds the rack in and down the whole a arm , I've added what pics I could get, the lines are all dry, the boot is dry, Is it possible the rack is cracked?

Attachments

• 20180502_105656.jpg
    20180502_105656.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20180502_105401.jpg
    20180502_105401.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180502_110254.jpg
    20180502_110254.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20180502_110203.jpg
    20180502_110203.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 175
Look at where the lines attach to the PS pump, where the lines screw into the rack and if you don't see any leakage then only other spot it could be would be from one of the inner tierod ends. I've had a seal go under the boot before and let the fluid flow out to my driveway.