Paint and Body Fox chassi differences

BearWolfe

Feb 21, 2021
LoUiSiAna
Background: I have an -86 Saleen that in its past been hit. I am questioning the repairs done as there's some misalignment in few spots. It seems it was hit hard on front drivers side by the fender diagonally or side ways.
Now, in the scrap yard I ran across a later version fox convertible that looks undamaged everywhere except a few spots of rust (not in the areas I may need). Where are the differences, if any, between an -86 V8 hatch as compared to an -87 4-banger or later convertible (which I presume it is)? I am planning to cut it by the the A pillar and use parts of the front clip or majority of it where needed in a future restoration. Or am I better of waiting on the correct parts donor to come along?

JY FOX VERT.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I believe for the parts you need, 86 would be identical up to 1989. 90+ had some changes in the strut towers but I don’t think it would matter if you were doing the entire front clip

Lower control arm mounting points could be different depending on what year the donor is. Your '86 k-member will bolt to newer chassis though. Agree the upper strut tower holes are a little different (camber/caster plates are listed as different for pre'89 vs post). I used C/C plates from an '89 on my '90 and had to elongate one of the bolt holes to make it work. It does work though.

Thanks for your input. I am not planning on replacing the whole clip unless I have to. Since I don't know what year it is, which could be verified thru the VIN with another trip to the JY. I guess it is safe to presume nothing differs on the front end between a hatch and vert then.

Thanks for your input. I am not planning on replacing the whole clip unless I have to. Since I don't know what year it is, which could be verified thru the VIN with another trip to the JY. I guess it is safe to presume nothing differs on the front end between a hatch and vert then.
Can I ask what wrecking yard that car is in?? I could use the Passenger side door glass... TY

That should work fine.. You can take front fenders off an 86 and bolt them to 87-89 cars fine I've done that in the past. Like others said once you hit 90 the strut tower geometry changed some so I would avoid cutting from 90 on.