Fox Convertible build

KingofBattle119

Dec 21, 2008
Hey guys, I have a 90 GT convertible that I'm looking to make a lot quicker and was looking for some build advice. I have a few gearhead buddies but they are all chevy guys and really dont know anything about Mustangs. My car has a really nice interior and is a convertible so I'm looking for more of a weekend car/street strip build, nothing too crazy. I'd really love to have the car in the high 12's on DR's.

So far the car has CAI, 70mm TB, BBK longtubes, h pipe, and bassani catback. I'm fixing to order the Trick Flow Street Heat H/C/I kit, and have subframe connectors, UD pullies, and 3.73 gears sitting in my room. What other kind of supporting mods would you guys reccommend? I know the stangs need suspension work, but should I just fix up the rear suspension or go with a whole kit? Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm aware of the rigidity problems of the vert hence the SFC's, but it was the right car for the right price and now I am pretty content with being the last owner of this car. Didn't even think of tower braces, thanks for that. And will I need a new fuel pump with 24# injectors?

I'm aware of the rigidity problems of the vert hence the SFC's, but it was the right car for the right price and now I am pretty content with being the last owner of this car. Didn't even think of tower braces, thanks for that. And will I need a new fuel pump with 24# injectors?

Any significant power mods will require a bigger pump. They aren't expensive, so its cheap insurance anyhow.

Dont worry about the 24lb injectors, not necessary. Go with a bigger pump though, just get a 190 or 215lph, they are about the same price, if you plan on doing more and more upgrades just go with the 215 to only do the pump once.

Fuel pump.
130 amp alt.
Electric fan.
70mm 94-95 GT MAF

Wont notice huge performance gain but you can be more confident about your car being stronger/more reliable. Do that with the trickflow kit and you will be more more than happy. I would go with the trackheat kit if you can spare the extra cash, and sell the cam and go with something better, trickflow heads have so much more potential then what the stage1 cam can do for them.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered twin electric fans, and I'll start looking around for the fuel pump, amp and MAF. What's the difference between the trackheat and streetheat kits?

And any other hints at suspension upgrades? I'm kinda lost when it comes to suspension so I really could use some insight. I dont need it to handle like a porsche but my local 8th mile is horribly slick so I could use all the traction I can get. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered twin electric fans, and I'll start looking around for the fuel pump, amp and MAF. What's the difference between the trackheat and streetheat kits?

And any other hints at suspension upgrades? I'm kinda lost when it comes to suspension so I really could use some insight. I dont need it to handle like a porsche but my local 8th mile is horribly slick so I could use all the traction I can get. Thanks again.

Track Heat will be more of a "top end" setup, where as the street heat will give you more power down lower in the band where you are most of the time on the streets.

Hope your planning on doing an alternator upgrade or those fans are going to kill you.
Switch to poly bushings wherever you can, shocks i went with KYB adjustable AGX's...not the best but good for me.

damnit!!!!! i built my motor in the wrong car! not again! :mad:

my car does just fine, but i don't go around launching at 5000rpm on slicks all day. i do however plan on getting a cage and through the floor subframe connectors...just incase i do start taking off from stop lights at 5000rpms

1991vert has something to say about convertibles making crazy power:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/699235-finally-got-some-work-done-56k-death

630rwhp/565rwtq and that's after swapping out for a larger blower pulley. He put down 600 prior to thta, I think at 5500rpm.

and yes you are correct. i had a 3.0 blower pulley and an 8" crank pulley and the thing would not stop making power. i would've ran out of injector! no doubt it would have gone to 20psi. it was heading right for 700 or maybe even higher :shrug:

and yes you are correct. i had a 3.0 blower pulley and an 8" crank pulley and the thing would not stop making power. i would've ran out of injector! no doubt it would have gone to 20psi. it was heading right for 700 or maybe even higher :shrug:

Thats sick...what kind of blower is he running? Problem is that you start really heating up the air when your running that high of psi put of a supercharger.