Progress Thread Foxbody spare tire

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reminder ... Since switching to 5 lug, I need to pull out the 4 lug spare and update it to something else.......
DSCF1177.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Want more bling in your trunk, Larry?!

Damn.... busted!

Yea, cause when I think of showing off some bling, putting it under carpet, jute padding and a tire cover is gonna get it noticed. Can't wait to show off my color-matched windage tray too. :D

Seriously though.... have you ever thought about the weight savings with one of these? And I'm thinking about leaving the tire off too.... for a surely-noticable improvement in acceleration and handling. :O_o:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
From what I know it’s a mixed bag. 93 Cobras were all supposed to come with them and 1990 & up LX and GT hatch cars. This was in an effort to shave weight. Something about the air bag system and offsetting that additional weight. Have never been able to verify as I’ve personally seen 1990 & up cars with steel spares.

I have steel spares in both my cars but they are five lug.

• Informative
Found this thread on it which one post sort of confirms what I had been told but the whole arm rest delete is new to me.

The weight savings, I think would be minimal, the bean counters were prolly looking at the total weight cuts down to the ounces, a few here, a few there, adds up to total pounds saved.
The rear is not the place to lose weight anyway, again my opinion.
I don't remember where I got that spare but I've never had a 93 cobra but I've had many 90 up parts cars, it came from one of them I'm sure.
I do recall reading that a few other fox platform cars getting that spare like in the Mercury (?) line up, it may have come down to what was next in line to install :shrug:

93 Cobras and convertibles had the aluminum spare. Not sure what years had them. I believe thunderbirds had them as well. Keep in mind in the 30+ years since, these parts may have moved around to other cars so pulling one out of a coupe doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what it was originally in. I remember back in the late 90s early 2000s folks were actively trying to get their hands on these. I went 5-lug back then so I never got on the bandwagon.

I think the armrest was a bean counter thing. I had the armrest delete in my car for a while and it sucked. The parts car I got my black interior from was an early ‘90 with the delete. Eventually I ponied up for a clean armrest and sold the delete. That was before LmR repoppped them.

• Informative
So is the armrest delete the center console armrest? It makes more sense than the door panel arm rests being deleted but I wanted to be sure. I’ve never seen it but never really looked.

So is the armrest delete the center console armrest? It makes more sense than the door panel arm rests being deleted but I wanted to be sure. I’ve never seen it but never really looked.

Yeah. Center armrest delete. Was an early 1990 thing. People complained and Ford starting putting them back on mid year.

IMG_7180.jpeg

93 Cobras and convertibles had the aluminum spare. Not sure what years had them. I believe thunderbirds had them as well. Keep in mind in the 30+ years since, these parts may have moved around to other cars so pulling one out of a coupe doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what it was originally in. I remember back in the late 90s early 2000s folks were actively trying to get their hands on these. I went 5-lug back then so I never got on the bandwagon.

I think the armrest was a bean counter thing. I had the armrest delete in my car for a while and it sucked. The parts car I got my black interior from was an early ‘90 with the delete. Eventually I ponied up for a clean armrest and sold the delete. That was before LmR repoppped them.
When my car was a daily driver, I added an armrest, I saw it as a necessity. As a toy, I find it a nuisance. With a newer setup with more power and traction the car hooked, the armrest flew back, dumped everything out and broke the latch. I reinstalled the delete and honestly, the interior is cleaner and quieter. I don't miss it at all.

Edit: And as i look at Mike's pic of the delete, it makes it look like 2 different colors and it stands out, it doesn't.
I personally find it more attractive than poor build quality armrests we had.

Last edited:
  • Agree