Progress Thread Foxbody spare tire

My pops took me for a ride in the police car when I was a very small kid. He says I was very quiet so when he turned around to check on me I was playing with a huge Rambo style knife that I had found in the backseat.
DSCF1083.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I have one. I've had to use it once. A couple kids in ricers ran me off the road into the curb and it took out my side wall. They were racing each other, weaving in and out of traffic. So I guess a cut tire is better than a crunched fender,

Reactions: 1 user
That spare is a 2015+ Mustang spare kit.

It doesn't clear big brakes like Brembo's, Stoptechs, Baer and such, but I think it works fine with Cobra brakes.

The kit is part number FR3Z-1K007-C, and you might be able to get it cheaper from your local Ford dealer

Ford Spare Tire
Agreed. I think I may copy your approach in concept with another wheel, or exactly if I have trouble determining what may not clear the blue car's Brembos & the black car's Baers. I suspect the Brembos may be a little tougher to clear. Plus, your wheel is available on Summit for $130, without a tire, of course. The one on LMR is $300! Yours looks better and weighs less, too.

The weight means nothing on a street car.
May even make things worse considering it's directly over the rear tires.
I see no reason to drive around without a spare tire.
You know what I put my factory spare tire with 60 pounds tire pressure with the jack and tire iron bought new ones from LMR and it seems to handle better .....

if your car is just a hobby car then no need for the spare, but
if you daily it then def. have one and make sure you check it once in awhile.
as you know ive dailied my car for fifteen years now, one time on my way to work i got a flat on the parkway at 70 mph.
pulled the space saver spare and within a mile it f#ing came apart from old age ,probably sat there for 20 years rotting away.
now i carry a full size and since cobra brake upgrade i have a five lug, its a 16 inch so if i get a rear flat no biggie. but front ill have to change spare to rear then put rear on front.

It’s a Racestar Recluse 18x5. I mounted a 18” temp spare tire to it. Weighs 36#. I have towing with Haggerty, but I wanted something just in case I got a flat and needed to get towed up on a trailer or flatbed on the flat tire. I don't want to ruin the rim/tire.

My cobra 17” spare didn’t clear the brakes, but this does by miles. Should also clear many aftermarket big brake kits which was the reason I went with it. I didn’t want to deal with spacers and such for a spare tire.

153CACF1-26F8-45EC-892A-5EE4B57BC233.jpeg
Why would a Cobra 17 not clear cobra brakes?

In any case, would you mind if I copy/paste your spare for my daily?

Or, will this end up being cheaper?

Last edited:
Why would a Cobra 17 not clear cobra brakes?

In any case, would you mind if I copy/paste your spare for my daily?

My brakes aren’t standard cobra brakes. They are later PBR revisions to that caliper normally found on C5 corvettes. Much bigger pad sweep area.

The cobra spare doesn’t clear this particulacaliper. I’ve since gone with a no logo version and added the mustang pony

IMG_0399.jpeg

Do corvette calipers bolt right up? I always thought they were functionally the same. Sorry if you went over this in your brake thread and I just don't remember.

Last edited:
No. Requires a special bracket that Baer sold. Baer used vette calipers in some of their old sn95 mustang brake kits

Found a guy on FB market place willing to sell the spare from the 94 Cobra he's parting out for $80. Live close enough for me to drive. That takes care of Black Jack.

For Grover, I understand that won't work, so...
I might have just figured out how you ended up on the recluse. I just went to summit, filtered to:
- 18" wheels
- 5" width
- 2, 2.1, & 2.13 inch backspacings
- 4.5" bolt pattern

The Race Star 95 Recluse, although I went with the Metallic Grey, was the cheapest one @ $118. After that, it's the Race Star 92, but that's $275. Then, I hopped over to Tire Rack again and ordered a Yokohama spare 145/70/18 based on yours. I was tempted to go for the Weld Ventura, with 2.1" for $370, but just couldn't justify the $250 price difference.

1695963121719.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Further up this thread I was trying to get some information from Blown88GT about the spare wheel shown in the photo on the Sept. 12, 2022 post ("Temporary Spare is 135/70-16") but hadn't received a response. Does anyone know of a 16" x 4 lug compact spare wheel with the correct offset/backspace and center hole for Foxbodies? Maybe from another Ford/Lincoln/Mercury 4 lug car?

So I would think that the 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe spare would be the same or was there some kind of wheel difference between the two?

Another ebay link and it appears the 88 TC spare is the same as the one for the Mustang I listed above. Hard to know what to believe.