Front End Conversion?

I have an 86 gt and i want to convert the front end to the 87 to 93 front end. Has anyone ever done this and have advice on how to do this, also what exactly do I need to complete this, or if anyone has pictures during the process or maybe before and afters. My car needs to be repainted so I wanted to do this before I get it painted in a couple of months.

Thanks, Tim

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it's been done many-O-times. Best to get a complete front clip from a 87-93 so you have all the hardware. There are a few people in here who have done this who can help you out more. I've even seen people do the exact oppisite like making a GT have a Capri grill and lights it was actually verry unique looking I have never seen one before.

It's almost a direct bolt on, except for the cowl grill. You'll just have to drill a few holes to hold it down. I can't remember if I had to swap out my fenders or not, but I would make sure you get the 87-93 inner bumper. Mine was a 1979 model and it was steel and a little different in shape.

and it's even a ttop version. don't hack that thing up mang, keep it four eyed, it'll grow on you i swear. oh and plus... you'll still have teh ghey interior and louvers on the quarter glass... just make it easy for you and buy an aero car

If it was a 4 banger i would say no big deal do it.But since its an orignal gt leave it alone.I got a buddy that did it to a 4 banger then put a v8 in it. To do it right you have to do the whole car (all the moldings, rear bumper, quarter windows and so on)it can get a bit costly.So i say leave it. I think they look killer.

IMHO the 86 front end has style compared the dime a dozen 87-93's out there. Same for the interior. I prefer the 86 interior. Round sportier gauges vs. the 87+'s. Sportier Recaro type seats with HALO headrest.

strokd10fs.jpg

That just looks mean.

Here is some inspiration for you.
Matt Barnes's 86 GT

1986 Ford Mustang GT

647 rwhp 574 rwtq @ 15.4 psi 93 octane gas

704 rwhp 602 rwtq @ 16.4 psi 104 octane gas

Motor: (shortblock assembly Keith Craft)

TRACK TIMES

1/4 mile - 11.28 @ 131 mph on M/T 26/11.5/15 ET Street's w/1.79 60' 10 lbs boost

1/8th mile - 7.1 @ 104.5 mph on 28/11.5 ET Drags w/ 1.72 60' 15.5 lbs boost

not to be picking apart a very good car, but with ET streets and that kind of power.... he's only knockin on 1.7 60footers? i think if he used a set of slicks on that car like it should have, he's be into the tens no problem. nice car though, and should get this kid to realize what he wants to do to (what i think is) the best fox front end, maybe the best mustang front end

you know i think i am going to keep it how it is because now that its brought up i dont want to look like all the other mustangs in my area(they all have 87-93 front ends) im going to keep it how it is....thanks alot guys for knockin some sense into me....

If you could let me know what i should do to the body to make it look awesome, like a saleen wing or something like that.

I had an 83 coupe and switched to 85-86 gt front end and than switched again to 87+ LX front end. After I did all that I did miss the 85-86 front end. Just think everytime you switch headlights you get clean sparkling new lights. I cant stand the maint the aero lamps need to keep them clean.

If you could let me know what i should do to the body to make it look awesome, like a saleen wing or something like that.

IMHO.....5 lug conversion with Wheels, 93 Cobra spoiler and tail lights, 82 GT hood scoop.

Or if you put an 86 LX front on you could do the proverbial Saleen Clone. Yes there were Saleen's in 86.

549051my_car_032.jpg

1011934623newsaleen.jpg