Front Right Brake Grabs

YankinNC

Sep 14, 2004
I just rebuilt my 289 engine, replaced all suspension and steering bushings, shocks, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. I am now having a problem with my right front brake grabbing when I apply the brakes. A friend that has been helping me thinks the problem is with the brake distribution block, but I think it is with the right front wheel cylinder ( eventhough it is new ). What do you guys think is causing the problem? This 67 coupe was my dad's, and has been sitting for about 12 years. She is running too good now to sit any longer, but the brakes are grabbing so bad that I am afraid to take her out on the road.

Thanks,
YankinNC

• Sponsors (?)

Be sure your adjustment is correct.

But it sounds like the left front brake line is collapsed. You say you changed both wheel cylinders (drum brakes?) did you change the rubber cylinder lines? Old rubber brake lines collapse & clog causing your pull.

I agree with above posts that the likely problem is the left brake not working. You may need to bleed it more or adjust it.

Also, if your suspension isn't in good shape it can cause the car to pull one way or the other. You may want to inspect it, or have it inspected and aligned if you don't want to do it yourself.

YankinNC said:
I just rebuilt my 289 engine, replaced all suspension and steering bushings, shocks, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. I am now having a problem with my right front brake grabbing when I apply the brakes. A friend that has been helping me thinks the problem is with the brake distribution block, but I think it is with the right front wheel cylinder ( eventhough it is new ). What do you guys think is causing the problem? This 67 coupe was my dad's, and has been sitting for about 12 years. She is running too good now to sit any longer, but the brakes are grabbing so bad that I am afraid to take her out on the road.

Thanks,
YankinNC

When I adjust my brakes I pump the brake pedal several times to recenter the shoes. Also, when you worked on the brakes, did you scuff the inside of the drums with crocus cloth? I don't use sandpaper because crocus cloth seems to work longer while not removing as much material. Also, is it possible that one of the shoes got wheel bearing grease on it when you were putting together? Just a couple of ideas; try the adjustment thing first.