Front spring question

brianproctorla

Jan 30, 2007
I am getting ready to reinstall the front suspension on a 65 mustang after a disc brake, shelby drop, and shim eliminating conversion.
I am test fitting everything (haven't torqued the bolts to spec yet) to make sure that I have all the correct parts.
I am noticing a problem with the upper control arm movement.
As I release spring tension from the compressor, the upper control arm moves all the way down until it bottoms out on the chasis. This can not be correct, as I don't believe there is spring tension on the lower control arm or shocks, so Shouldn't the upper arm movement stop at approx a 90 degree angle to the chasis? Does the proper torque on the upper control arm bolts stop downward movement of the upper control arms?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply!

correct, i have the spring compressor that bolts from the shock tower to the perches, which is why i wasn't super concerned about partially releasing spring tension without proper torque (only hand tight) as there is little risk of the spring coming loose.

So, if I compressed the spring, torqued the bolts all way, the movement should stop at approx 90 degrees?

Your movement will be limited to the length of the shock. Lower the car to put some weight on the front end and remove the compressor. I thought I remember someone posting not to tighten it until it is on the ground but I could be wrong.....You will probably need to lower it all the way to get the shock in.