Front to rear track differences

fastfoxgt

Dec 26, 2005
Some suspension questions

Hi,

Im doing a build-up of my 81 Capri and I've got a few questions hopefully some of you could answer for me which are mainly suspension related.

Here's some things about it: Its got a '84 351w backed by a C4 trans.
I plan to run the oem bullitt wheels on it with the FMS C springs underneath. My plans are to basically have the car as a saturday night special, with most of its time on the street.

First question, Is there any real difference with running the 96+ spindles over the 94-95 ones? I know the track on the 96+ ones is something like 8mm wider on each side. Has anyone using these ran into rubbing while running a similar combo? (with the 96+ spindles)
Is there an advantage over running the 96+ over the 94-95 ones?

Also, Ive read from sources that the 1990 + K-frame is supposedly better for front end suspension geometry. Is there any truth to this and is it worth getting. Or is it a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just run the one thats in my car now.
My real goal with it is to have something that is an overall good performer, a car that takes the turns just the same as it will stop and accelerate. Right now.. its gonna get up and go better than it will turn and stop.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

From what I understand, the advantages of the 96+ spindles are that they have better Ackerman angles - I never knew what that was so I looked it up: http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/susp10.html

Also, they are designed to easily allow use of brake cooling ducts like in the 2000 Cobra R model. Other than that, as long as you are using 8" wide wheels and 245/45 or 255/40 tires, you should not have any major clearance problems. Minor fender liner rubbing probably, but nothing major.

If you can find some 94-95 spindles, I would use them, but many guys ahve used the 96+ with few if any problems.

The 90 model suspension was redesigned and allows more adjustment with the stock front end parts, so yes, the geometry is different. But I think it was more dealing with the shock towers than the K member. If you get aftermarket caster/camber plates, they have different parts for the pre 90 and 90-94 models.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. I picked up a pair of 95 spindles today with hubs and got a 95 v6 master cylinder too. Im looking forward to putting them on once I pick the 96 rear end up. Hopefully I can find a set of Bullitt take offs in the local paper when spring hits.