Electrical Fuel and hatch release button wiring

• Sponsors (?)

I've got the '87 wiring diagrams. I can post the info up later tonight if I can remember to go snap a pic
That would be helpful... thanks!
The wiring diagram in the Haynes manual 9nky has the fuel door release and not the hatch release. I have a connector unplugged in the glove box and I want to make sure it is the right one.

I believe the fuel door release is green and yellow.

Hatch release

White/pink and pink/yellow
IMG_8770.JPG

Fuel door

Light green/yellow and white/pink
IMG_8771.JPG

Snag one of these off eBay or a copy off rockauto.com. Great reseource to have

IMG_8772.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks that help!

I have a couple problems/questions.

1. For the fuel door release, is it 2 y/g wires that go into the connector and one pk/wt? These wires have been cut off the connector for the fuel door release and I don't have the connector. If I separate the y/g wires my dome light does not work only for passenger side door. If I connect them back together, touch one side to the fuel door release and the other side with the pk/wt the fuel door opens.

2. What the best way to Jimmy rig a connector for the fuel door release since mine has been cut off so I can get these wires connected to the button/ switch?

3. The prongs/electrical connections have been broken off my trunk release button so I acnt tell if it works. I have it disassembled and I scan se where new prongs/connections can be inserted. Can new prongs be purchased or made? Or what is the best work around here?

I can provide pics of my description is hazy.

Thanks again!

1. For the fuel door release, is it 2 y/g wires that go into the connector and one pk/wt? These wires have been cut off the connector for the fuel door release and I don't have the connector. If I separate the y/g wires my dome light does not work only for passenger side door. If I connect them back together, touch one side to the fuel door release and the other side with the pk/wt the fuel door opens.

The Y/G wire seems to come off the fuse block, so it's possible it powers a few items. I don't have the wiring diagram here in front of me, but Ford frequently hopscotched power wires from one item to another. I could look tonight, but having two wires on one side would seem to be correct as those wires are always together and therefor feed other devices like the dome light.

3. The prongs/electrical connections have been broken off my trunk release button so I acnt tell if it works. I have it disassembled and I scan se where new prongs/connections can be inserted. Can new prongs be purchased or made? Or what is the best work around here?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/trunk-release-switch-foxbody.html

This should show you what you need to know

Awkward place to get a pic

IMG_8785.JPG
Awesome... thanks! So, the 2 g/y wires are together.

I just need to figure out how to connect them to fuel door release switch since the connector has been cut off.

Spade connectors will probably be my best bet or finding a car with the same fuel door release button and cut the connector off of that.

At least my hatch release button works now!

Thanks again! This was a big help!

Spade connectors will probably be my best bet or finding a car with the same fuel door release button and cut the connector off of that.

Crimped spade connector will work fine. You could add some heat shrink before crimping and then cover the blade connector before connecting.

Look ahead to prevent stress on the connection and zip tie the wires to something and leave some slack in the wire between the zip tie and the button.

You can order new buttons from the restoration sites. I am like you and will repair the original part when possible. (So order the new button and swap the internals and use the original housing.

Snipping the OEM connector at a junkyard is not a bad idea. You can buy the terminations that fit inside the housing and avoid splicing it you want to keep the original look.

Thanks that help!

I have a couple problems/questions.

2. What the best way to Jimmy rig a connector for the fuel door release since mine has been cut off so I can get these wires connected to the button/ switch?

I can provide pics of my description is hazy.

Thanks again!
if you put 12 volts to the red wire on the connector it will release the fuel door and if you put 12 to the green it will backfeed the system and sound the door buzzer