fuel cells on 65-66 - post up pics if you got em

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
I am going to re-do my fuel system over the winter on the money pit and I wanted to see some pics of your fuel cells in the trunk.

Include manufacturer and P#'s and estimated costs if you have them.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

-Todd

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel cell

Hello Todd !
Here is what I got in my trunk. Its a RCI-2161A, with a modified filler neck and a bigger standpipe (10AN). Stock standpipe is 8AN. As you can see it does not take all the space in the trunk. Still room for a couple of bags.:nice:
I think the price is about 230 usd.

Regards
Tor

Attachments

• RIMG0174.jpg
    RIMG0174.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,690
  • RIMG0175.jpg
    RIMG0175.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,426
Here is what I put together in the last year. It's a JAZ 16 gallon tank with foam . I then used an Earl's screen filter, the standard Holley Blue pump, a Summit filter and all -6 lines and fittings.

The frame was something that I fabricated. with 1" tubing and 16 gauge sheetmetal. It bolts to the same flange in the trunk that the stock tank does with minimal modification to floor. I welded nuts to the underside to make things easier but that was about it.

Not shown are straps over the top of the tank that hold the tank to the frame.

Fuel_Cell_1.sized.jpg

Fuel_Cell_2.jpg

66forfun said:
nice setup applejack. need to start selling those frames....any sketches available for it? the only drop in cell I saw for our cars was 1100 bucks.

$1100 skins - ouch! Who makes that?

Applejack - that is a nice looking piece of fabrication. I currently run a Holley Blue set up and regulator and plan on stepping up my system so that whenever I build my next big inch Dart motor I won't have to re-do the fuel system again.

nice work.

66forfun said:
nice setup applejack. need to start selling those frames....any sketches available for it? the only drop in cell I saw for our cars was 1100 bucks.

Thanks guys. You're not the first ones to mention the idea of me producing those frames. They are kind of labor intensive in that it took probably 20+ hours to build the first one. The materials were around $70 for the steel. I think the tank retails for around $180.

I can put a drawing together but it won't be immediately. I'm going to the SoloII Nationals this weekend for a week, so that has my attention right now.

washMO66 said:
$1100 skins - ouch! Who makes that?

Applejack - that is a nice looking piece of fabrication. I currently run a Holley Blue set up and regulator and plan on stepping up my system so that whenever I build my next big inch Dart motor I won't have to re-do the fuel system again.

nice work.

Hi Todd,

I have the Fuel Safe drop in replacement cell. I think it was close to $1500 after including the modified fuel neck kit. The good: it drops right in place of the original tank and the fuel gauge works without any mods. The bad: $1500!

I think next time I will do something more like applejack. Thanks to applejack and a67stangmaster's idea I think I might cut the top off the orginal tank and modify it to hold a fuel cell and the battery.

Brad

mustbereel said:
Hi Todd,

I have the Fuel Safe drop in replacement cell. I think it was close to $1500 after including the modified fuel neck kit. The good: it drops right in place of the original tank and the fuel gauge works without any mods. The bad: $1500!

Brad

B,

Send me a pic on e-mail of that cell set up when you have some time so I can see the fit and finish, (Which I am sure on your car is very sloppy not well thought out :D ) I'm sure it looks perfect like the rest of that sweet machine of yours.

PS - update your avatar with a pic of the aluminum Dart with the Webers.... That should be your calling card around here.....

fuel cell

washMO66 said:
B,

Send me a pic on e-mail of that cell set up when you have some time so I can see the fit and finish, (Which I am sure on your car is very sloppy not well thought out :D ) I'm sure it looks perfect like the rest of that sweet machine of yours.

PS - update your avatar with a pic of the aluminum Dart with the Webers.... That should be your calling card around here.....

Pics sent, here's one for everyone subscribing, and avatar changed.
fuelcellrear.jpg

Attachments

• fuelcellrear.jpg
    fuelcellrear.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 447
:nice: Here is a little drawling about what I had in mind Its a nice cheap setup because everyone is trying to get rid of there old tanks for new ones so if you mess up its ok and it fits into the bay with out sizeing anything... Fuel lines are safe from flying objects like rocks and curbs.

fuelsetupqm4.th.png

tankkv7.th.png

Attachments

• fuelsetupqm4.th.png
    fuelsetupqm4.th.png
    7 KB · Views: 343
  • tankkv7.th.png
    tankkv7.th.png
    7 KB · Views: 331
SoCal, you're right to suggest that. I run a side exit exhaust. Running rear exit would require a different pump/filter location. I've seen others put the pump/filter on the front of the tank, but my panhard bar eats up all of that room.

I didn't go rear exhasut because of the fuel system and panhard. I went side exit and then had more room to play with.

It's physically possible to fit the pump inside the frame if the tank would be offset to one side, but I didn't feel comfortable with pressurized lines inside the car.

Instead, I would suggest putting them on the front side of the frame on the outside of the frame. If you don't have a panhard bar (or specifically, the frame mount cross-brace) then the pump and filter will fit there. I don't know how the Watts compares.

My frame is, in a top down view, no bigger than a stock tank or the Fuel Safe cell. If you still have the stock tank in the car, and you have your new pump/filter, it would be seay to lay under there and move things around to see where they fit.