Fuel Pump 1969 351..

drutt

Sep 10, 2004
Hi,

I am having trouble getting my Mustang to start... I removed the fuel intake to the Carb and pointed it into a bucket and tured the car over 4/5 times.,.. there was no fuel in the bucket.... does this mean that my fuel pump is broken? or should i check some other things before spending money?

Cheers
Euge

• Sponsors (?)

How long did you let the car turn over for? Check to make sure the lines from the tank to the pump are all good. After that, check your filter. If both of those are good, then it's possiable that something is wrong with your fuel pump escentric(sp?). After all that, then I'd replace the pump.

I have checked the lines and filter and all looks okay to me... I did notice when trying to start the car there was some smoke coming from the + battery lead where it joins the relay(?), the battery may also be a little low would this also have an effect?

Cheers
Euge

drutt said:
I have checked the lines and filter and all looks okay to me... I did notice when trying to start the car there was some smoke coming from the + battery lead where it joins the relay(?), the battery may also be a little low would this also have an effect?

Cheers
Euge
If your starter relay was smoking, then you have a short somewhere or a bad ground. However, that should not effect your fuel delivery issue since your pump is mech. Check the grounds and wire hook up on the starter relay.

Obvious questions are normally the solution in my case :) I have got fuel.. it was empty so i put 5 liters in and turned it over a few times...

Using a clear pipe i sucked the fuel through and could see it coming up the pipe and it does get to the fuel pump so the lines are okay.. did not try sucking the other side of the fuel pump as was not sure how it works and if it needs to be turning for fuel to be let through...

It doesn't HAVE to be running or working to get fuel through it, if you apply enough vacuum to the outlet port, one can overcome the tension on the check valves in the average fuel pump and get fuel to move through it. I do not believe, though, that the average person can generate sufficient vacuum to do this.