Resolved Fuel pump not turning on

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

3054tony

Nov 9, 2023
Us
Hello, sorry long post but my 93 5.0 has been sitting for 13 years but getting ready to move so I wanted to be able to drive the car onto the trailer and into the new garage. I drained all the old gas out by siphoning it from the tank then jumped the relay to get the rest out. Added fresh gas but had low fuel pressure. Installed new regulator and had 40psi and car ran but heard an air leaking under the upper manifold. Vacuum hose was dry rotted so I ordered new hoses, while waiting for the hoses to come in I flushed the coolant, new thermostat, spark plugs, l replaced the gaskets for the egr, throttle body and spacer. New Vacuum hose came today so I put that on, went to start the car but now the fuel pump won't come on. I tried to jump it at the relay again but didn't work. Been trying to look at wiring diagrams to see if it's possibly a ground or the fuse link. Any suggestions on where to start? Didn't want to drop the tank and do the pump unless everything else was ruled out first.

This was my first car I ever bought. learned how to drive a manual , how to work on it but after sitting so long I'm so rusty I don't know where to start

• Sponsors (?)

Got a test light? Volt meter?
Code reader?
jump down to #3 and look for CLUE, that paragraph will show you how to jump the fuel pump (you may know this or remember) #4 will tell you more about dealing with the fuel pump.
Let us know the results or any more help/questions in this thread.

Code reader?
jump down to #3 and look for CLUE, that paragraph will show you how to jump the fuel pump (you may know this or remember) #4 will tell you more about dealing with the fuel pump.
yessir I do have a test light, volt meter and code reader. Just pulled a 95 code, fuel pump secondary circuit fault. I am getting power to the relay. Will head back out on my next break and see.if there is power to the pump.

Reactions: 1 user
Code reader?
Power is getting to the pump but not kicking on so ordered a new pump. Guess I drop the tank tonight and wait for it to come in tomorrow and hope for the best

20231110_135844.jpg
I think im just going to order a whole new tank

Not sure what comes with a new tank, but make sure you have new seals and sending unit. I'd also consider the tank to filter hose.
And without a doubt a tank strap stud kit. That's a real mess and i would not be going back in there again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Solved. New pump in and started right up. The old sock on the pump had also fallen off and disintegrated in my hand.

Attachments

• 20231112_074832.jpg
    20231112_074832.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231112_075255.jpg
    20231112_075255.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 29
Not sure what comes with a new tank, but make sure you have new seals and sending unit. I'd also consider the tank to filter hose.
And without a doubt a tank strap stud kit. That's a real mess and i would not be going back in there again.
Kind of in a tight spot for now so just ended up cleaning everything the best I could. It has to go to a storage unit for a couple months until our new house is finished. All the above is definitely on the list to replace as soon as we get situated. I did do the new seals that came with the sending unit and pump.

Last edited: