• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Fuel Pump O ring

  • Thread starter Thread starter TIGGER
  • Start date Start date Oct 21, 2024

TIGGER

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2000
877
244
104
Portland, OR
Oct 21, 2024
#1
  • Oct 21, 2024
  • #1
I looked and did not find my answer. I replaced the original fuel tank on my 89 from one I had in a 96 parts car. Originally I was just going to swap the tank and the filler donut and call it a day but the SN95 hanger has different diameter tubes so I had to put the foxbody hanger in the tank. When I did that I used the old o ring. Fastforward 3 months. Now when I fill the tank, I smell gas. I think the o ring is leaking now.

Does anyone just sell the o Ring? I all I see are o-rings and the locking retainer. It comes in a kit. I do not need or want the locking retainer. I just want the o ring,. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,162
4,254
183
Claremore, OK
Oct 22, 2024
#2
  • Oct 22, 2024
  • #2
Dorman 579-003. It has both but it’s the cheapest I’ve been able to find locally. Ordering it online you will pay more in shipping unless you can get it on Amazon with Prime.

If you do find just the seal post it up because throwing away the locking ring is a waste.
 

TIGGER

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2000
877
244
104
Portland, OR
Oct 29, 2024
#3
  • Oct 29, 2024
  • #3
thanks and sorry for the late reply. I have been under the weather lately. I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a pair of o-rings + locking rings soon as the fumes are getting stronger with every tank.
 
Reactions: General karthief

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
2,554
724
143
Roy, Utah
Nov 15, 2024
#4
  • Nov 15, 2024
  • #4
Late to the party but I have a bunch of both diameter tank o rings
We used to cheat and not even replace them
If you are fast enough on the replacement, the o ring will not swell and you can just slap it back together
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
4.6 spitting o-rings out of 2 injectors
  • skidad
  • Sep 30, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
49
Views
577
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 36 minutes ago
skidad
S
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
541
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
New fuel pump relay
  • Scrapla347
  • Nov 3, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 8, 2025
Scrapla347
Engine Fuel not pumping
  • Creomod
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
51
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 22, 2026
Noobz347
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
964
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?