Gas AND Oil in Upper intake?

Luvmy88

Oct 27, 2003
I have recently put my stang back together, and have been having idling problems. I removed the upper intake to check the injectors, and I noticed a large amount of oil/gas mixture towards the rear of the intake. What does this mean? Both in the upper and lower intake, looks liek only the last 2 or 3 runners.

Most everything on the top of my motor is new. Found this oil/gas with only 178 miles on this new engine. PCV valve is new as well.

Help, what should I be looking for when trying to track this down, and prevent the leaking.

• Sponsors (?)

That essentially means that your intake valve guides are worn or more likely, your valves are not seating correctly on your heads. I find it funny it happening on your engine, you saying it's new and all. Generally that's associated with all-around worn out engines with high mileage. The oil is somehow making it past your piston rings and is then blown past your intake valves -> your crappy idling issue. Did you by any chance get a valve job done on the heads, are they the original heads, aftermarket, or when you say most up top is new that they are new also?

Yes, freshened up the heads, $1000 worth of head and block work.

What if the rockers werent torqued down correctly?

Looks and smells like more gas than oil thats for sure.

Gas in the upper - possible leak in the vacuum side of the fuel pressure regulator. If the fuel pressure regulator has a pinhole leak in the diaphram, it will suck gas into the vacuum line and then into the upper manifold. Remove the vacuum line from the regulator & with the car running, look for gas to come out of the vacuum port on the regulator.

It appears only the last two or three runners on the intake have gas in them... soaked the upper/lower gasket right there where the last two runners "meet"