Gas in my oil pan!?

FourEyed85

Nov 17, 2005
Ligas, Az
well at first i thought someone was putting gas in my motor through a valve cover but two nights ago i changed the oil and i took it around the block and when i came back i checked the oil about 30 minutes later and lets just say there was about a gallon of gas in the oil pan. whats that all about?

ps- its not smoking and i have a holley electric fuel pump.

• Sponsors (?)

What it usally is is stuck floats. If the fuel pressure is to much for the floats they will not seat properly and the fuel pump will continue to pump fuel through the carb past the intake through the valves past the rings and into the oil pan. When this happens you are wash the cylinders with gasoline which is very bad. The oil also breaks down and is no good anymore. I assume since this is a 85 you have a carb. Pull you air filter and watch how much gas continues to flow after you shut off your car.

Float performance and float level are critical in carb'd cars. Set the float level too high, and the gas will boil out of the carb when you shut down a hot engine. A bad power valve will do the same thing in some carb models. The gas ends up in the crankcase after washing all the oil out of whatever cylinder is physically at the lowest point below the carb. The clue is that the car is hard to start when warm.