Gas Smell

stangsman

Member
Nov 24, 2003
45
1
8
I've noticed that while I have my car idle or just move it a short distance (to park it in a driveway) I notice a lingering sharp smell of gas. Could it be that I'm running too rich? I have 85K on my car, and had it for 2 yrs. I'm thinking that my O2 sensors may have gone bad. I also had a full exhaust installed last year and recently had it checked for leaks and there are none. I've also noticed since my new exhaust, my check light stays on constantly. Is this smell normal? But then again I don't notice this smell on any other car. :shrug:

'95 GT, BBK l/t headers, h-pipe/catted, MAC catback, 14deg, 3.73's...all else stock
 
did you notice a lil loss in power with the full exhaust last year?? going out on a limb with the CE light and say that possibly your maf wires could be dirty. was a problem with mine a few years back when i did my first exhaust changes.

i know my car runs a lil rich at idle and im tryin to fix that with my tweecer. id like to put her on a wideband to see when and where she runs rich/lean but i definately get a strong gas smell at idle also
 
I notice that it feels a bit sluggish coming off the line. I'll take a careful look at my MAF wires. As for codes, I'm looking for a scan code resonabably priced. Someone mentioned that Walmart has one for around $30? But they do not sell any for that price. I'll check ebay but any other suggestions?
Thanks for the input.
BTW my car backfires (it'll have that hollow, popping sound from the exhaust), especially after a long trip then when I start it up again, it'll backfire a bit then go away once I start to drive it.
 
pulled the codes

I got a code reader and the codes are: 176, 177, 542, 543.
HEGO sensor fault always lean, HEGO sensor fault always rich, fuel pump secondary circuit fault, fuel pump secondary circuit fault are the codes respectively. ANY IDEAS? Thanks for any input. :flag:
 
stangsman said:
I got a code reader and the codes are: 176, 177, 542, 543.
HEGO sensor fault always lean, HEGO sensor fault always rich, fuel pump secondary circuit fault, fuel pump secondary circuit fault are the codes respectively. ANY IDEAS? Thanks for any input. :flag:

if its always rich/always lean that O2 is shot, in my case I changed the right/left and that fixed my CE.. reset the KAM and see if that fuel pump comes back..
 
That fuel pump code is strange. Hopefully it's just that left O2 sensor that is causing the problem. You could get away with just replacing that O2 sensor. They run $60 from autozone. I would only replace the one you are getting a code from to save some money.

Disconnect the battery before you start, replace the O2 sensor, then reconnect the battery. That will clear the KAM and the car will need to be driven for 10-15 miles to see if the codes come back. After 15 miles, check the codes again and see if they are gone.

Do you still smell fuel? After you replace the O2 & the codes are gone, check for the smell again. Stick your head in the passenger side of the engine compartment (fuel lines are right there, and see if you smell it still.

Good luck!
Scott
 
Follow up...good news

OK guys, thanks for all your input so far! I purchased a pair of O2 senors (Motorcraft part) and installed them this weekend. The CE light went away ( I did not disconnect the battery nor cleared the codes). The car seems to respond a lot better, doesn't feel sluggish off the line and I don't notice any gas smell. I will give the car a good run during the week and write up my final assessment before closing this case. Thanks. I