Gears are in

IresGift

Nov 13, 2008
Midland, TX
Picked it up last night. A tech at Ford did the install on the side, at the dealership for $250. The performance is nice, not quite as 'neckbreaking' as I was hoping for, maybe this has to do with my tune?

My question is, should I be hearing a loud "howl" when I decelerate?

Picked it up last night. A tech at Ford did the install on the side, at the dealership for $250. The performance is nice, not quite as 'neckbreaking' as I was hoping for, maybe this has to do with my tune?

Gears have nothing to do with your tune other than to notify your speedometer of the adjustment I believe. In a sense, the actual tuning of the car didn't change, just the setting of the gear ratio.

nice wheels cycosarge

+1

OP: I had gear swaps on a lot of cars, and if they whine at the beginning, they whine forever. If they are whining now, he may have not shimmed them correctly. i would take it back; at the very LEAST let him know so it is not a surprise later on where he could tell you it's your fault for not breaking them in properly.

Gears have nothing to do with your tune other than to notify your speedometer of the adjustment I believe. In a sense, the actual tuning of the car didn't change, just the setting of the gear ratio.
True, but a good tune will reduce throttle lag and improve acceleration as well. With 4.10's and a Bamachips tune, you should really be thrown back in the seat. You may wanna have Doug check your tune over and address the concerns that you have.

Thanks for the replies and help, folks

Went back to the shop last night. The guy went for a drive with me and agreed the howl upon deceleration was not normal. At first he simply wanted to tighten the preload, but after doing so, he felt more the need reopen the assembly and check the backlash. 0.008

Comfortable with the measurement, he reassembled the differential and I took it for a drive. Not only was the whine almost non-existent, but the entire drive line seemed tighter and more wound up. The clutch action reminds me a little of my '86 GT from high school (but without feeling like I am leg pressing 100 lbs).

Needless to say, I'm sooo relieved this didn't turn into a revolving nightmare! My advice to anyone considering a gear swap is this; don't just have any mechanic give this a go. Ensure that he's not only qualified, but trust worthy. Any mechanic willing to go round and round to make sure a job is done right is worth the extra time and money in my book.

Best $260 I've ever spent!

iPhone

True, but a good tune will reduce throttle lag and improve acceleration as well. With 4.10's and a Bamachips tune, you should really be thrown back in the seat. You may wanna have Doug check your tune over and address the concerns that you have.

Right, but he was saying that the gears didn't feel like as much of a difference as he had hoped. I was just letting him know that the tune will have nothing to do with making the gears more effective in that regard.

Yes, you need to break in the gears for at least 500 miles. Be nice to them or they will whine for the rest of your life. After awhile they stop whining so much, but it's all good.

No break in... put in my 4.56's and drove 3 miles to see if all was good... drove 50miles to the track and launched w/ DR's all night.... mine dont, and never 'howled'. That was last June... zero problems.