Getting my 1996 GT vert back in good condition.

I recently bought a 96 GT vert with a 4.6 and 5 speed. It had been off the road for about 5 years. It was worked on by a mechanic that replaced the fuel pump and put in a new battery.
1996 Mustang.jpg

The wheels were corroded and the tires were 12 years old, so they had to go. I found a set of 2018 Mustang wheels and tires.
1996 Mustang Wheels.jpg
Next I started tackling the issues with this car. I changed all the fluids, belt, tensioner, and hoses.
It wouldn't idle and I had a check engine light on. I changed the idle air valve on the inlet and that corrected both issues.
When I filled the tank for the 1st time, it smelled of gas, and I found the seal for the filler pipe leaking. I've replaced it and now no more gas smell in my garage.
I next went after the front leather seats that were showing cracks and much wear.
1996 Mustang seat1.jpg

I bought restoration supplies from 'The Seat Doctor" to repair them. 1st I used seat crack filler and dye to make the open cracks less noticeable.
1996 Mustang seat2.jpg

I then removed the plastic hood scoop, and cleaned up the hood.
1996 Mustang scoop.jpg
1996 Mustang scoop polished.jpg

The hood still needs a little more work.
I cleaned and treated the top with vinyl protector.
The carpets have been shampooed, but need to be replaced because the PO was a smoker and there are several burn marks.
Next, I need to find the source of the antifreeze smell after driving and parking in the garage.
I'm hoping to be able to drive this for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

How's the seat repair holding up? Wheels look great. Thinking of doing same to my seats. I've been neglecting my 96 vert for quite a few years and finally caught the bug again and waiting to install some 10.5s wheels in the back. :nice::nice:

The seat is doing great. It looks well worn, but not open cracks any longer.
I've put new headlights and turn signals one it.
1996 Mustang headlights.jpg

I had to replace the headlight switch, and the idle air valve. I also replaced the gas filler tube seal to the tank.
It's slowly coming together.

Reactions: 1 user
Must be nice to be able to drive the top down year long. I'm trying to take advantage of the last few weeks before winter gets here in Ohio
The seat is doing great. It looks well worn, but not open cracks any longer.
I've put new headlights and turn signals one it.
1996 Mustang headlights.jpg

I had to replace the headlight switch, and the idle air valve. I also replaced the gas filler tube seal to the tank.
It's slowly coming together.

Update on the seats. I put my elbow through the back of the drivers seat while searching for my phone that fell to the floor under my feet. I had to get out and then on my knees to reach it. In doing so I leaned with my elbow against the seat back. RIIIIIP went the leather.
Anyway I found a seller on Ebay that had a leather replacement for both front seats. They fit well and look good.
I was able to reuse the foam buns by carefully cutting the old covers that were glued to them.

Attachments

• mustang seat.jpg
    mustang seat.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 25