Go Over My Motor Parts List Please

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
had a clutch cable snap recently, i think it was due to oil getting all over it. so its time to focus on this motor of mine.

ive got gt40p heads off an explorer (i pulled these off an explorer so were going to go with not shaved any. i will probably do light porting to the exhaust side with a buddy of mine thats done it before) , the 65mil tb off an explorer, frpp shorty p headers, the tfs spring kit, and the car already has a c&l 76mil 19lb mass air.

so let me know what you would change to my list here, this is all stuff im going to start ordering. motor will be pulled out and down to a short block.

tfs stage 2 cam
early explorer intake upper and lower (will probably port the lower a little)
new ford timing chain (i work at ford)
new head bolts right?
new gaskets for everything
1.6 roller rockers?
new thermostat and water pump
new hoses and belt
king cobra or whatever its called these days frpp clutch (already have new cable, mm quadrant and adjuster)
new off road h (mines all cut and welded wrong)
melling new oil pump

i might do a 7 qt road race canton oil pan with the dipstick, pickup and gasket too but im undecided on that

gonna keep running my flowmaster 3 chamber catback for now, and im planning on deleting the egr and smog pump. motor will be clayed and i will measure for push rods.

if im gonna run the tfs 2 cam im assuming its my 19lbs are gonna need to be replaced with 24's and a corresponding mass air right? if you think the tfs2 cam is overkill for this what should i upgrade to match the setup? im trying to build a motor around a tfs2 and 1.6's basically

what cold air intakes are we running and liking? i was thinking they all werent really worth it except for the power pipe?

the stock rockers are 1.5's?

is the explorer intake gonna bottle neck that setup? do i need to be looking at a typhoon or something?

do i need a fuel pump and pressure reg. too?

all my gaskets are going to be for a 90 mustang im assuming, except for the explorer upper to lower and lower to head intake gaskets right? do i get a head gasket for an explorer?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

had a clutch cable snap recently, i think it was due to oil getting all over it. so its time to focus on this motor of mine.

ive got gt40p heads off an explorer (will probably do light porting to the exhaust side with a buddy of mine thats done it before) , the 65mil tb off an explorer, frpp shorty p headers, the tfs spring kit, and the car already has a c&l 76mil 19lb mass air.

so let me know what you would change to my list here, this is all stuff im going to start ordering. motor will be pulled out and down to a short block.

tfs stage 2 cam - it's best to get notched pistons for valve clearance with this cam 224°/232° .542"/.563" valve lift w/1.6, send your heads to a machine shop to cut them for dual springs. I hope you have 3.73 gears for this cam to run correctly or you'll be bogging down at low speeds/rpms
early explorer intake upper and lower (will probably port the lower a little)
new ford timing chain (i work at ford)
new head bolts right? Yes, ARP
new gaskets for everything
1.6 roller rockers? TFS stage 2 has enough lift already, stick with 1.6 RR and get a good set of dual springs that TFS recommends for this cam.
new thermostat and water pump
new hoses and belt
king cobra or whatever its called these days frpp clutch (already have new cable, mm quadrant and adjuster)
new off road h (mines all cut and welded wrong) Get long tube headers with matching X or H-pipe if you want more HP
melling new oil pump

i might do a 7 qt road race canton oil pan with the dipstick, pickup and gasket too but im undecided on that
I think this oil pan would require a tubular K member for clearance

gonna keep running my flowmaster 3 chamber catback for now, and im planning on deleting the egr and smog pump. motor will be clayed and i will measure for push rods.
Delete smog pump, keep EGR!!!

if im gonna run the tfs 2 cam im assuming its my 19lbs are gonna need to be replaced with 24's and a corresponding mass air right? Get 24lb injectors with 75mm ProFlow MAF

what intakes are we running and liking? i was thinking they all werent really worth it except for the power pipe?

the stock rockers are 1.5's?

is the explorer intake gonna bottle neck that setup? do i need to be looking at a typhoon or something?
Explorer intake is good, send it to Tmoss or at least open up the inlet to run a 70mm TB

do i need a fuel pump and pressure reg. too? Yes, a 155 would do well.

all my gaskets are going to be for a 90 mustang im assuming, except for the explorer upper to lower and lower to head intake gaskets right? do i get a head gasket for an explorer?

Last edited:
Exhaust lift is .563 w/ 1.6 RR so you need to make sure you have a good spring that can handle that lift and the rpm's that cam likes to go up to. The springs you say you have max out at 0.542".

TFS recommends these springs for TFS stage 2 cam. These springs have more seat pressure and higher spring rate.
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-2500200&view=1&N=400098++150+

TFS stage 2 cam intake/exaust lift 0.542"/0.563"

Springs, taken from their installation instructions.

TFS #2500100
Thank you for purchasing a Trick Flow Valve Spring Upgrade Kit. This kit contains
higher rate valve springs and special retainers that will allow you to use a performance
cam up to .542" lift on OEM cast iron heads without machining. 110 lbs seat pressure and open pressure 257 lbs.

TFS #2500200
At a 1.780” installed height, these springs have 125 lbs seat pressure (420 lbs/in) and will allow .600” of lift.
Don’t forget that whenever you increase valve lift, you must check piston to valve clearance

I did the canton pan setup on my last engine, doesn't require a k member, but i don't think i would do it again on a 302. I just don't think it's necessary, especially at the cost.

I certainly would not be notching pistons for a tfs stage 2 cam with p heads.
Keep it simple with the cam.

i didnt even notice that the exhaust side was bigger than the intake.

after talking to trick flow they say the springs i have a really for the tfs1 cam, and that any spring that would hold a tfs2 will require the machine work to the head to hold a bigger spring.

he also said that un ported or mild ported p heads a tfs 1 cam will work great, he only recommended going to a tfs2 cam if i had extensive porting done to the p heads.

and he said a tfs1 cam with 1.7s would put me right at the limit for the springs i have, .540 on the exhaust side(intake side was smaller) - spring limit is .542.

by my math a tfs1 with 1.7s is .530/.542

so ill probably get a tfs1 cam and 1.7s and clay it all and make sure theres clearance.

he also said they usually run 24s on this kinda setup but the 19s would probably work, so ill probably get it going with the 19s for now and upgrade to the 24s later on.

easy company to talk to

Last edited:
That was my experience as well and also why they're one of the top companies around for our cars. With a tune I believe you could increase the duty cycle of the 19# injectors to meet the increased demand of your engine.

From Alexparts website in the link you provided (regarding TFS 2 cam)

Suitable for 1.6 and 1.7 ratio rocker arms as long as the lift does not exceed .560"

You'd be dancing on that line with this cam. However the guy says to email him the cam and part number and he'll advise you on the correct spring setup. I'd add the $20 option to get taller springs that accommodate up to .600" lift.

If you really want this TFS 2 cam, get it!! I have one but haven't installed the engine in the car yet.

Leave the smog pump and EGR alone. There's nothing to be gained by removing them but a headache from exhaust fumes. Skip the 0/R H-pipe and spend the money on a set of high flow cat's and have them welded into the current H-Pipe while you're at it.

anyone know anything about these springs?

http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40p-drop-in-valve-springs-kit-hyd-roller-580-lift/

might be worth it if the quality issues people are talking about with the tfs springs are true. then i could run a tfs2

I looked at his springs and decided to go with the TFS ones, as they come with the springs, shims, keepers, and I know who makes them. If you want the best spring setup IMO, give Ed Curtis @ TFI a call. He has an LSX spring package that is pricey but worth it.

been spending money like crazy over here at latemodelresto, also i got my front end damage fixed, and ordered mm front coil overs. got lucky and found a 96 explorer in the junkyard this morning so i have the following.

gt40p heads off a 97 explorer
96 explorer upper and lower intake manifolds (ba prefix)
throttle body off the 97
ford racing p headers
brand new bbk off road h pipe
trick flow pushrod length tool
ford racing water pump
ford racing gasket kit
ford racing oil pump
proform 1.6 roller rockers
tfs valve spring kit
crane pedestal to stud rocker conversion
clutch alignment tool
ford racing hd clutch kit (came with throwout bearing)
ford racing timing chain kit
tfs stage 1 cam
the 30 dollar engine finishing kit with dowels and stuff

then i work at ford so i got
all 4 heater hoses
new upper and lower rad hoses
motor craft explorer plugs (sp 432)
new thermostat and gasket
16 lifters
pilot bearing

felpro ms95952 intake gaskets

so i need spark plug wires, a pcv valve, and the ford racing kit comes with cork valve cover gaskets so i need to get fel pro ones of them

i thought long and hard about putting new rings and bearings in the motor but i think im just gonna tear it down to a short block and see how it looks, ill probably end up running it as is. it dosent burn oil or anything.

been spending money like crazy over here at latemodelresto, also i got my front end damage fixed, and ordered mm front coil overs. got lucky and found a 96 explorer in the junkyard this morning so i have the following.

gt40p heads off a 97 explorer
96 explorer upper and lower intake manifolds (ba prefix)
throttle body off the 97
ford racing p headers
brand new bbk off road h pipe
trick flow pushrod length tool
ford racing water pump
ford racing gasket kit
ford racing oil pump
proform 1.6 roller rockers
tfs valve spring kit
crane pedestal to stud rocker conversion
clutch alignment tool
ford racing hd clutch kit (came with throwout bearing)
ford racing timing chain kit
tfs stage 1 cam
the 30 dollar engine finishing kit with dowels and stuff

then i work at ford so i got
all 4 heater hoses
new upper and lower rad hoses
motor craft explorer plugs (sp 432)
new thermostat and gasket
16 lifters
pilot bearing

felpro ms95952 intake gaskets

so i need spark plug wires, a pcv valve, and the ford racing kit comes with cork valve cover gaskets so i need to get fel pro ones of them

i thought long and hard about putting new rings and bearings in the motor but i think im just gonna tear it down to a short block and see how it looks, ill probably end up running it as is. it dosent burn oil or anything.

I don't want to come off as critiquing your parts, but I would not put proform rockers on my car. They are known to break. Also, the felpro 93334 intake gaskets are a better kit

id stick with 1.6's, and ditch the pedestal-to-stud conversion if you can (or if you have no plans to upgrade heads again anytime soon). crane made the '93 cobra roller rockers if you can swing them, still a good bang for the buck and i believe they still make them.

the 93334 is the one you want, steel core, stronger, and fit better. you wont use the upper to lower gasket (its for the stock h.o. intake), but you can get the cobra/gt40 upper gasket by itself.