Going engine hunting (need advice)

• Sponsors (?)

quick identifiers, the 351w has the same timing cover has a 302 the 351c has a very flat timing cover. If the radiator hose goes to the intake it's a 351w if it goes to the block it's a 351c, also the 351w has 6 valve cover bolts and 351c has 8, if IIRC. good luck on your hunt :nice:

a 351w looks just like a 302 except the intake is wider, and the deck is 9.5" vs. 9" to accomidate the 3.5" stroke. so, look in trucks, vans, and up to 1991 crown vic cop cars, if it is a carb on the crown vic, it's a 351.. It will also have the right oil pan for a fox mustang.....

ok thanks, so the following 2 pictures would be clevelands right

73-351C-BELTS1.jpg

73-351C-BELTS2.jpg

Either Cleveland or 351M/400... those have the same style heads as a cleveland (or 335 series). But they have the bellhousing like a 429/460 (385 series). Great for trucks. Not much else...

ok, I bet those things are a bear to pull out of a van. Would I save myself some aggrevation just looking for one in anything other than a van

ok, I bet those things are a bear to pull out of a van. Would I save myself some aggrevation just looking for one in anything other than a van

more difficult yes, more involved yes. the nose is designed for it come straight out it's just cumbersome. If you find a nice running motor in a van vs another vehicle, I'm pulling the one out of the van.