Good low budget entry level supercharger?

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
I've been looking through the threads on here but can't seem to find a list of entry level superchargers. I'm not looking for anything extreme just a few extra ponies to have fun with, and I'm not looking to break the bank. I've seen kits on ebay around 2K is there anything cheaper?

• Sponsors (?)

For the love of god dont get Powerdyne, mine broke twice in 400 miles. Junk!!!!!! I bought a Vortech V2 3 years ago, best move ever. If your looking for minimal boost boost look for the old school sn93 paxton blower, you can probably get those for less than 1000 on ebay

I picked up a novi 1000 for $4400, it was a pretty good deal, came with everything:
IMG_0031.jpg

I'll have it all done and on the road in about 3 weeks, then I can let you know what I think, for now I like it!

Supercharger

I've got the Paxton 1220sl, a friend has the Vortech V3. As far as I can tell they are the same SC that just have different stuff in the kits. Both work great and are easy to install. I went with superchargers online and had no problems. Oh yeah, the V3 kit is best as you'll end up buying the fuel pump, ignition retard, and bypass anyhow (these don't come in the 1220 kit which is why it's cheaper).

I already have a 255 lph pump in my tank, what else usually comes in the supercharger kits? The supercharger, a bracket, pulleys, belt, couple of elbows and some type of FMU? I mean I'd go the ebay route but seeing how it would be my first supercharger I just worry about not having everything I need.

Some of these kits on ebay aren't complete... so I was curious, if I picked up an FMU that was used with a powerdyne, or a vortech would it be compatible with a paxton? And what about the brackets? Are they pretty much interchangeable too? Because I've seen a couple people just selling the head units, and I've seen FMUs and Air boxes being sold separate also.

Wow, my Novi 2000 didn't come with a motor, when I bought mine.

I agree with the Vortech V3 or Paxton 1220. Do yourself a favor and buy it new. Used kits often have missing parts which you may not notice until you go to install the blower. Also, the warrantee that comes along with a new blower is always a good thing to have.

If you had to find parts, I'd see about getting install instructions for that blower. They should have a parts list. FMUs and airboxes can be had almost anytime. If you want to use an FMU, you can use whatever brand, just find out if it's calibrated for your setup (look at the ratio number). As for brackets, you'll want to find the correct bracket that matches your engine/head unit.

I picked up a novi 1000 for $4400, it was a pretty good deal, came with everything:
IMG_0031.jpg

I'll have it all done and on the road in about 3 weeks, then I can let you know what I think, for now I like it!

I've done alot of research on supercharger and turbo kits and to knowledge the On3 performance twin turbo kit is the best bang for the buck at $3300. Thats my two cents.

I've done alot of research on supercharger and turbo kits and to knowledge the On3 performance twin turbo kit is the best bang for the buck at $3300. Thats my two cents.

Um the on3 performance kit is like 1800 NOT 3300...

Also, you don't need an FMU. If you upgrade injectors, just get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you should be fine.

Does anyone have a pic of an engine equipped with a SC without the AC? I want to see what the belt routing looks like. It seems like the belt routing would be an issue because the alt gets relocated below the smog pump.

Here's a pic:

engine08.jpg

If you're going for an easy-entry blower for some quick ponies, and not necessarily as much power as you crank outta the thing, I'd suggest looking for a used Vortech A-trim. I put one on my near-stock 302 (aftermarket intake, maf, tb) years ago and loved it.

For a street car with absolutely no track use or hard driving, it was very, very fun and torquey even with my then-stock AOD. Back then I left the stock injectors and fuel pump and it didn't run lean unless I hit over 4K. I drive it easy anyway so it wasn't much of a concern at the time. FWIW...

yea imma have to do that first lol. was hoping someone was able to do boost while staying speed density without using a stand alone ( was hoping to use the SCT with maybe a 3 bar GM sensor ) lol.

Lemme look and see if i have any good pics of it and ill send you some.

I agree with the Vortech V3 or Paxton 1220. Do yourself a favor and buy it new. Used kits often have missing parts which you may not notice until you go to install the blower. Also, the warrantee that comes along with a new blower is always a good thing to have.

Nothing wrong with used blowers, I bought my novi 2000 for 2400, used it for 2 years and sold it for 2200, so if you wanna get technical i was into the blower for 200 bucks and i had 2 years if fun with it