Good tip for you AODE guys.

Dan95-5.0

Jun 14, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
for those with AODE's, like me, heres a good tip.

I hate lockup. i hate how it comes on at a low speed while driving through residential areas like stop sign to stop sign. I like hearing my exhaust. even though i'm pretty sure the people in my neighborhood dont lol

in case you dont know what lockup is. it feels almost like 4th gear if you imagine O/D being 5th. when its on, and you try to accelerate, it feels as if the car bogs down and feels almost gutless

i'm going to rig up a switch to prevent lockup but for now this method works.

when lockup is on while driving, tap the brake with your left foot. you dont have to apply it. just barely touch it. it'll feel as if the car just downshifted. well it does for me with my shiftkit.

give it a try.

• Sponsors (?)

I think some of the guys on TCCOA were working on putting a toggle into the wiring to allow the lock-up to be chosen or not.

I also think someone (a mod there) was working on a kit to have the car default to being "OD off" instead of on, when you start it up.
Cool stuff.

You can not hook up a switch to it. I have tried.

The comp looks for the converter to lock up and when it does not see the lock up after a while it will turn it off in the comp and you will have to clear the codes for it to start locking again.

I have also tried tofigure out a way to wire up the converter to a powered switch but once I got my tweecer I stoped messing with it.

Also te computer applys a variable voltage to the tcs depending on different variables so hitting it with 12 volts is not the thing to do. And you don't want full lockup on a stock converter becuase the stock tune is for the converter to still slip some when the car is moving.

I guess everybody has strong feelings about stick or auto.

I know I do! :D

This seems kinda harsh :shrug:

miller92063 One more tip. GET A MANUAL! Aode's suck

This seems kinda naive :shrug:

Dan95-5.0 Quote:

HAHAHA

no thanks

i love my aode. shifts fast like a mother ****er with the stuff i got done to it, other manual and auto's wont be able to keep up.

What you run up against when fooling around on the street, I would have to agree with your statement if the power levels are similar between both cars, well, ...... for the most part.

At the strip, things are can be quite different if you line up next to a good stick man who has a setup geared for strip use.

Autos or Sticks ...... its all good ...... Peace Everybdy :SNSign:

Grady

ya, i use that "brake tap" trick a lot, it unlocks the converter and i believe ford put this feature in to electronically unlock it since if you are hitting the brakes, logically you will be accelerating afterwards to get back up to speed, works great, but im still going the stick option over THIS WINTER (i swear...no more set backs) but great post, since if you dont know about this the car does feel exceptionally sluggish

I have owned two 95GT's: 1 stick, 1 auto, both had similar mods and low miles.

My T-5 with 2:73's was faster than my Transgo-AODE with 3:08's. Now, if my t-5 car was not shifted near perfect, I'm sure the my aode car would have won, as they are very close. But while in gear (not while shifting), the T-5 car would have pulled on it.

i have had a performance rebuilt, $1,600, aode in my car. i was pleased with it at first. shifts hard, SPINS the tires into second can make chirp into third, but what i want the car for the manual is much more fun. when tranny was built had to be rebuilt 3 times. pain in my a$$. so more than anything i hate mine, not yours. tko should be in tomorrow, can't wait.

exactly i have never owned a manual, but i drove my buddies the other day and fell in love, TOTAL CONTROL!

They did not tell me exactly, but i think that the first kit they put in the automatic was for the 4r70w. Dumb f$#@$

miller92063 said:
One more tip. GET A MANUAL! Aode's suckcrapola

Guess whose car is listed as the #1 car on the quickest 94-95 list here on Stangnet (and those are outdated numbers)???

Guess what transmission it has? LOL!!!

I love five speeds, in fact mine used to be a 5 speed - but if anyone thinks autos are not fun, they need to ride in my car. At the track it's set up to shift perfectly without user input - launch off idle and hang on and keep it straight! On the street - with the new combo I just got done with last week - I hate to say it, but the car is useless - once boost comes on, no traction at any speed even with the MT DRs.

Don

bjl95mustang said:
You can not hook up a switch to it. I have tried.

The comp looks for the converter to lock up and when it does not see the lock up after a while it will turn it off in the comp and you will have to clear the codes for it to start locking again.

I have also tried tofigure out a way to wire up the converter to a powered switch but once I got my tweecer I stoped messing with it.

Also te computer applys a variable voltage to the tcs depending on different variables so hitting it with 12 volts is not the thing to do. And you don't want full lockup on a stock converter becuase the stock tune is for the converter to still slip some when the car is moving.

thats odd. i have read threads on here where they install a switch to control lock up. either unlocked or let the computer control lockup without any problems

where did you wire a switch to?