Got Predator! Need tune please!

NickDiabloSport said:
The issues the customer is experiencing, I assume your not talking about his PC but the need to make tune changes, are related to conditions. It is extremely hot this year and the fuel in some areas are less then desirable. Heat is generally not an issue for us because we test in Florida, and temperature is always in the high range for us, but with California fuels, and not knowing what brands are available to the customer, you can run into this type of stuff.

The advantage of using Predator in this situation is the ability to make tune changes to insure safety and performance, and when the heat subsides you can go back and recalibrate accordingly. No need for special “tuner” packages, or a laptop. If you’re not confident in your ability to make the needed changes you can visit, or e-mail, any one of a nationwide network of CMR custom tuning dealers to exchange calibrations or data.

We would love to make a tune that is perfect for all conditions or every situation out there.

What we can do is offer a stand alone programmer that gives the end user all the tools, data monitoring and logging, adjustability and use of 5 custom tunes, to make the vehicle run to its potential, given the conditions.

Features that for the about the same price, product "X" requires additonal software, a laptop PC, and a dealer just to get a base start up tune.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]

I was going to say something to this but all it is going to do is piss off the Diablo Predator owners and cause a flame fest. So I will save it. Good luck.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no problem explaining how we make decisions and how we try to do to keep calibrations safe and yet make the power customers desire and expect. I spend a fair amount of time on various forums to monitor customer feed back, on all products, and see where all tuners experience the same issues, at the same rate, when trying to make power.

All tuning products are all of good quality and deliver on promises made; we offer a different type of programmer that makes modifying your 05 Mustang easy, with the use of in-depth diagnostic and calibration data at your finger tips, with dealers to support your special needs, all for a fair price.

Not sure what it is you wish to dispute?

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

First off, it's really cool to see someone from DiabloSport on here paying attention to feedback. That pretty much sold me on going out tomorrow and buying the tuner. I'm completely new to modern engines and tuning them is foreign to me, so knowing I can get advice here along with the tech line, I can rest easier.

I do have one question though: I am holding out on getting a CAI setup for my car since my plan is to ProCharge it within the next 2 months, will this be a problem? Also, will the tuner still work with the ProCharger once I install it?

Thanks and I hope I didn't hijack this thread!

Kris

At the risk of upsetting the DiabloSport dealer who may be speaking to you as a potential customer, if you’re serious about the Procharger system for your 2005 GT, the supercharger will come with a DiabloSport Predator, pre-calibrated for the system.

Now if you were to purchase the Predator now, and get what’s called a "tuner" system from Procharger, a supercharger kit with no calibration package, you would have to seek out a CMR custom tuning dealer and have a custom tune made on the dyno.

It’s always nice to have custom tuning done, for maximum horsepower and the safest possible calibration, but you will generally spend more doing it this way. The extra cost can result in added power, when looking at a specific application, and monitoring the A/F ratio, fine tuning with the conditions and fuel used in your vehicle, power should be a little better.

The Procharger supplied calibration requires minimum adjustment to the MAF curve, for the blow through MAF inlet set up, and then generates safe daily driver horsepower with out dyno tuning. The addition of other aftermarket modifications can result in the need for dyno tuning, depends on what parts, and sometimes even who manufacturers them to determine this.

All adjustments, as well as the data logging and monitoring that needs to be done to determine adjustment, is done in the DiabloSport programmer. No need for dealer, additional tuning software or a laptop.

DiabloSport Predator is the only “stand alone” adjustable flash tool on the market.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

Nick,

I bought the tuner this morning at Brothers Performance down in Corona,CA. I will be getting the ProCharger via sponsorship, so buying the tuner now is okay with me. I suppose I'm bad about the whole instant gratification thing. But on the bright side, I suppose once I get my ProCharger kit, I can return the car to stock with the current tuner and reflash with the supplied one, and sell the one I bought, correct?

Thanks for the heads up either way!

Kris

Kris,

I knew you were in need after seeing you had such an old revision. Sorry you purchased a programmer that had been on the shelf somewhere and not updated. We urge distributor’s to update Predators when new revisions are released.

This is another great DiabloSport feature, the ability to always keep the most current programmer features and calibration in your Predator by simple download from the DiabloSport website. Check the download page from time to time to see if there are new revisions. DiabloSport is always working to continue to be the best.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

I just thought I'd throw in my experience with the Diablosport Predator. I bought the Predator with a C&L Mass Air Flow intake. It installed in less than 30 minutes as advertised but after I installed the custom tunes from the Predator the car ran like a slug; misfires, no power, etc. What I didn't realized is that the custom tune for my C&L MAF did not come installed in the Predator. I downloaded the proper tune from the C&L website and uploaded this to the Predator and in turn, to my 05 GT. BAM!! Instant power increase. It was awesome. After 20 years of SAYING I was going to go run at the drag strip, I finally did it. I've been to the last four sessions (Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington; formally known as Seattle International Raceway). My best 1/4 mile run with this setup is 13.23 @ 107.1!!! I didn't get to the raceway BEFORE I installed my setup but other, stock 05 GTs are running in the low 14s, a SIGNIFICANT difference. Also note this car (AND THE STOCK TIRES) have 31,000 miles on them so I think these times are phenomenal. The last drag strip session of the year is in two days. You can be sure I'll be preparing my car to run in the 12s by next years drag strip sessions. Not bad for an everyday driver.

Dan

Bobbys9350,

One of the problems several of us have had with the Predator is loading the updates to the DSP. Mostly this seems to be operator error and not the DSP. However, the instructions to download into the DSP the new update or custom tune are lacking. What I found to work best for me is:

1) Download the update and/or tune from DS to your PC's Harddrive
2) Close all open applications on you PC and your access to Internet (This is key point)
4) Connect the Serial cable to DSP
5) Plug in power supply and turn it on
6) Once you open up the Downloader Program, make sure you have the correct COM port selected. On mine it is COM 4 115K Baud rate. I have a USB to Serial cable (Make sure SW for cable is installed on PC for it to work correctly
7) Follow the instructions on the Dowloader program to update the DSP firmware. Same for Custom tunes.

Sometimes it will hang up while dowloading to the DSP. Be patient. You may have to start the process again if anything running in the background of the PC causes a glitch in the download process. That is why you must close everything running that you can on you PC. This is one point DS does not tell you.

I just updated my DSP to r23 (Had r17 loaded before) and reloaded the Steeda CAI Customn tune to the DSP then the Mustang. No problems. I noticed a bit of difference in performance and drivability for the good.

Hope this helps you.