GT 40 tubular intake and GT40 iron heads...

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
I just got the intake and now found a set of GT 40 (not GT40P) heads on a friends 96 explorer motor. I think I can have the heads for maby $200. I thought in the spring when I do the intake that would be a good tome to swap heads. My question is will that all make a nice power gain. I will take the heads to a local guy that it pretty good at working the heads over. I will likely have a valve job done along with some porting work and have him install some new 1.7 RR's probly. will all this with my stock cam be a nice upgrade. and any guesses on how much power I should lay down.

• Sponsors (?)

nice. I will have to update my sig soon

Mods will be
70mm edelbrock TB
GT40 tubular intake ported
GT40 heads ported
March ram air box
3:55's
MGW
BBK 1515 headers
OR H-pipe
flow 40's
1.7 RR's
smog stuff deleted
SFC's

what are you running with right now? we have fairly similar setups...! Any track times? I've never been. How do you like the ram air? I hate mine, but it came on the car. Nothing but a street vacuum!

I have that same combo: GT40 tubular with GT40 iron heads. Intake lower ported and polished to match ported and polished heads, 1.7 roller rockers but still the stock cam. Underdrive pulleys, Bassani ceramic coated equal length headers into 2.5" Bassani Hi-flow catted X-pipe into 2.5 Dynomax Super Turbo cat back. Pro-M 77mm MAS and 65 mm FMS TB bring the air in...and she runs STRONG ;)

I have 3.73's and this is in a convertible (stock looking). I love suprising people who think it's just a pretty convertible ;) (espescially the new Mustangs).

I could get some more power with a cam but I like the streetability of the stocker since I usually have my daughters with me and don't get to stand on it too often.

If I ever decide to go with aluminum heads, I'd switch the cam then...but honestly it would probably be better to throw a mild blower on it as it is and upgrade the fuel system to match.

I think you'll be quite happy with the final results. Consider upgrading your injectors to at least 24 lb and also you in-tank fuel pump (and have your MAS recalibrated for whatever injectors you're running).