GT-40's on the cheap???

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
Since I have a crack in one of my heads, I am obviously looking for new ones. There is a junk yard by my house, a good one that keeps all engines and parts like that inside, has a set of GT-40's off an Explorer for $250, also with a 3 month warrenty. Is this a good deal? All the valve-train and stuff works fine, car was hit in the rear.
If I get these heads, I am probably going to have them milled, ported and polished. I know this is not an H/C/I install, but will the GT-40's "wake up" my car any. All I have are the mods in my sig. I plan on doing gears and a Stall Convertor once the funds become available.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a junk yard by my house, a good one that keeps all engines and parts like that inside, has a set of GT-40's off an Explorer for $250, also with a 3 month warrenty. Is this a good deal?

I know this is not an H/C/I install, but will the GT-40's "wake up" my car any.

Yes and Yes :D At the very least get a cam to go with the heads. Money well spent. My cam was matched to my head flow so it would be a good one for the ported GT40's but a really BAD choice if you don't have a tuning device.

You should definitely feel a difference with some ported GT40 heads, however don't forget to add an intake to the list if you really want to see the benefits of them. Adding some heads without an intake will create a huge restriction, and you'll be well under their full potential.

Believe me, I want to do a cam and an intake as well. My current budget doesn't allow for it unfortunatly. My plan is to install the GT-40's and a Fluidyne Radiator, b/c mine is leaking, and wait for some more money to come in. I have seen guys on her make some pretty good power with a stock cam, so who knows.