Gt Front Fender Mods

sawdeanz

Sep 6, 2016
Ran into some problems fitting 245's on the front of my 90gt. When turned the tire rubs the front of the scoop/fender extension part. I am lowered quite a bit but it only happens on one side (which I realize could indicate a tweaked unibody or maybe poor panel fitment). I had alignment checked and that helped, but it still rubs enough that I left the new wheels off until I could fix it. At this point I'm considering doing some work on the fender to make them fit. I found an article on Griggs racing (http://www.griggsracing.com/installation/fender.html) but I can't find any pictures or videos which would make me feel better about taking sheers to my car. But I also don't want to rush into body work (even minor) if the problem could be fixed with something else like springs or frame straitening (out of my budget atm). My other concern is if it is this close already, will I run into problems in hard cornering too? I'm not really an expert on suspension geometry and movement during driving.

• Sponsors (?)

i've run 245/45/17's on my 90 since I've owned it 5years ago. In fact had Nexen's on them from the prior owner. What size rim? I had only some rubbing on full turn but it was on the A arm not the fender but then it depends on how much you have it lowered.. Try some rack limiters.

The size you are running is close to the same size as stock except the width is increased. Since you said you have lowered the car quite a bit I bet the alignment is out of wack. You need to add some negative camber to address the issue. Our cars love this anyways so this is a good mod for the car anyways.

Well I should have figured with the bigger tires I would have problems even though they are pretty close to the same height as stock. But now that I have them what is the solution? Unfortunately I missed those bigger wheel wells by one year

If you already have the tires and wheels, how bad is the rub and why is it on one side. Find a way to use them, figuare where the rub is and why, is it too low, frontend out of wack, these cars are called flexable flyers for a reason.

There's a mod where you put one of these between the bottom front of the fender and the frame. It pushes the fender out a little to help with tire clearance.
c0466002-60a9-4aac-b501-7d67368c54ad_1000.jpg

It's attached at the lower corner behind the ground affect on the metal part if the fender ( before wheel opening ). It then bolts to the frame. Two "L" brackets are also needed. Combined with trimming the gt ground affect it should give you the clearance you need. Various size turnbuckles are available at Lowes and Home Depot.

Or conversely you could just pay attention to the contact area and roll the fender lip flat, then "persuade" the fender outward w/ a baseball bat by wedging the handle between the tire and the fender, then applying a little judicious leverage over several points.

My tires were all over the inside of the fender initially,..245/45/17 .and doing those two things dramatically increased the clearance.

It's Monster approved:nice:

There's a mod where you put one of these between the bottom front of the fender and the frame. It pushes the fender out a little to help with tire clearance.
c0466002-60a9-4aac-b501-7d67368c54ad_1000.jpg

It's attached at the lower corner behind the ground affect on the metal part if the fender ( before wheel opening ). It then bolts to the frame. Two "L" brackets are also needed. Combined with trimming the gt ground affect it should give you the clearance you need. Various size turnbuckles are available at Lowes and Home Depot.
I may look into this. Do you have a link to a article for the mod? I've already had the fender lips rolled, but it is rubbing in the wheel well at the bottom front, on the ground effect liner area. I expected I might need rack limiters but this happens at maybe half turn.

Ran into some problems fitting 245's on the front of my 90gt. When turned the tire rubs the front of the scoop/fender extension part. I am lowered quite a bit but it only happens on one side (which I realize could indicate a tweaked unibody or maybe poor panel fitment). I had alignment checked and that helped, but it still rubs enough that I left the new wheels off until I could fix it. At this point I'm considering doing some work on the fender to make them fit. I found an article on Griggs racing (http://www.griggsracing.com/installation/fender.html) but I can't find any pictures or videos which would make me feel better about taking sheers to my car. But I also don't want to rush into body work (even minor) if the problem could be fixed with something else like springs or frame straitening (out of my budget atm). My other concern is if it is this close already, will I run into problems in hard cornering too? I'm not really an expert on suspension geometry and movement during driving.
My 90Gt did the same with 245/45r17 on 17x9 saleen sc wheels. I have caster/camber plates so i just give it a bit more positive camber by tilting strut towards the rear of the car problem solved. of coarse you will need to get an alignment if you change the caster.