GT Insurance Costs?

The thing I liked about progressive is that they only check 35 months (or thereabouts) of your driving record (being 26 now I had some serious tickets when I was 21-22). They seem to be a reasonable company. I pay 195/month for my 03 GT. Geico was rediculously expensive due to the fact that they checked my driving record more than 35 months prior... not good. I was with unitrin for a while but they suck in both customer service and rates.

When I was 18, my dad bought a 1977 Mercury Monarch for 1000 bucks and put me as the primary driver on it. As a result I was insured on all of my parent's vehicles, including my cobra, and I didn't have to pay the high premium. That pos Mercury paid for itself within a year of owning it, and I never drove it. Arizona sucks though because we have some of the highest insurance premimus in the country.

• Sponsors (?)

SVTStang03 said:
LOL, thanks bro! I think I am going to have my dad be the only listed driver on the Roush and have him add me to one of his company trucks. That way the total would be under $250 for me a month.

its in my moms name but im listed as a driver. Make sure they add that or if you wreck it they wont cover you. My cousin wrecked her moms car and she wasnt on her moms insurrance and the insurrance company didnt cover it.

mike2003GT said:
The thing I liked about progressive is that they only check 35 months (or thereabouts) of your driving record (being 26 now I had some serious tickets when I was 21-22). They seem to be a reasonable company. I pay 195/month for my 03 GT. Geico was rediculously expensive due to the fact that they checked my driving record more than 35 months prior... not good. I was with unitrin for a while but they suck in both customer service and rates.

When I was 18, my dad bought a 1977 Mercury Monarch for 1000 bucks and put me as the primary driver on it. As a result I was insured on all of my parent's vehicles, including my cobra, and I didn't have to pay the high premium. That pos Mercury paid for itself within a year of owning it, and I never drove it. Arizona sucks though because we have some of the highest insurance premimus in the country.

So as long as my name is on my dads/moms insurance policy I am covered to drive any of their cars, right?

I'm 21 with at least one ticket on my record. I'm on my moms plan but they rate me as the driver on my car b/c they automatically put the highest risk driver on the highest risk car. I have a 99 GT and pay about 100 per month with collision. I was payin 70 a month for a 4cyl ranger with no collision.

wow... this brings me back to when i was 20 i had leased a brand new 98 four cylinder ranger... 200 amonth for the truck---- 330 for the insurance!!!
Now i'm 26 with points and i'm payin like 135 a month on my 02 gt
So either go through your parents or tough it out...It goes down a little bit every year till you hit 25 then you get a big reduction, Insurance rates also go by where you live too... Its all crap!!!!!!

getting married helps a bunch too :D plus turning 25 the same year, is even better :D but for the love of God don't go through geico. they quoted me nearly 800 a month on my first stang when i was 20. i was like "are you kidding me? it's not like i'm 16 & driving a friggin viper", geico agent - "so would you like to put that on a credit card today?" me - "click".
if you can get it through usaa, i highly recomend them they are pretty good :nice:

SVTStang03 said:
$40 a month!!!!????

40$ US= 61 $ CAN. Yes insurance cie is taking 61$ each month in my bank acount to cover insurance on both my car, the other one beeing a 92 Topaz that i used as a winter beater.
I knew insurance were expensive in the states, but never to this level. I guess you can shop around an find a nice deal. Good luck

I'm also with Progressive, no problems so far, but I haven't had to make a claim (knock on wood). Like I said before, I pay $140 a month for an 03 GT and a 93 T-bird, and I'm 23. Seems like decent rates to me, and I live in the Atlanta area :eek:

I am 27 and I pay ~$160 a month, not points with good driver discount. Get yourself insured on the cheapest car in your familys. When I was young, I was put on a 79' Ford Granada, so my insurance was cheap, but I could drive whatever car I wanted to in my family. Check your state to make sure that is legal.

High insurance is the price for driving a powerful car.

Heh.. What did you expect to see for insurance on a Roush stage 2. When I was your age I almost bought a brand new 96 Cobra, Back then the insurance was quoted to me as being around 500 a month. If you were to get a ticket or two your parents would kick you off thier insurance in about ten seconds cuz thier rates would sky rocket. Even a GT is gonna be pretty spendy at your age. If you just drive it like a granny for a couple years the cops seem to not bother you much after your 20+. My advice would be to forget getting a special model and get the base and build it up. The insurance company doesn't have to know anything as long as you don't wreck it. (P.S. never let a cop look under the hood, most states require a warant to do that if you don't give them permission.)
And man your only 17, save your cash for school then buy really kick but cars when your done with college.
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an Arse.
:sleep: