gt40 head valvetrain upgrade

jammer84_03

Nov 30, 2003
i got a set of real gt40 head comming my way with the crane / ford stamped 1.7's. now i know the heads have some wear on them and i dont want to have valve float at the upper limits. just looking for a cheap and pratical upgrade through comp or something equivilant. springs are all i am after for now and would put them on in a couple of weeks after driving. any help on what to get is really appreciated....thx

• Sponsors (?)

Trick flow also makes an upgrade kit for Ford iron heads. It will work on E7s, GT40 and GT40Ps. I used them on my P heads since I was going with a larger than stock cam. part # is TFS-2500100 and they are good to .542" lift cams. Comes with springs, shims, retainers, locks, tool to check installed height and valve seals.

If you have aftermarket iron GT40's, you should not have exhaust valve rotators, and you should be ok to 6000 rpm with the springs that came on them.

If you have a take of set from a Lightning or Cobra that has the exhaust valve rotators, you have some issues to address.

The intake and exhaust valves have the valve groove at different heights. You need different exhaust retainers. O50 offset.

I used all Comp Cams stuff, and 972 springs I think. Runs to 6000 easily. Call them, and they will make it easy.

i got a set off of a cobra...the irons....what all do i need to do...the valve grove in the actual valve....i think i know what you are talking about. so i should just contact them directly, tell them what i got and go by their recomendation?